NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 24th, 2006, 20:17
NAXJA Forum User

Check engine light and rough idle!

I was installing a standard connector on my U-Haul flat 4 connector tonight. I cut the old connector off and was probing the wires to make sure I got everything wired up right. I must have grounded out the wires because I blew the parking light fuse. I replaced the fuse and finished putting the new connector on. I went to start the Jeep and noticed the check engine light was on once it fired up. I shut it off and pulled every fuse from under the hood and fuse box and checked them. They are all good. I then disconnected the battery for 15 minutes hoping to reset the computer. Soon as it light up the light came on again. I let it idle for about five minutes and it started missing and sputtering. If I rev up the engine it runs normal but will miss at idle. If I restart the engine it runs fine for five minutes or so and starts acting up again. Any clue as to what sensor got grounded out by my trailer wiring?

This is on a 2000 XJ auto.
Old October 24th, 2006, 21:16
NAXJA Forum User

Cool Re: Check engine light and rough idle!

You probably grounded the backup light through the NSS which will set off a CEL (just a thought). Pull a code to go further on this one.
Old October 25th, 2006, 18:42
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Check engine light and rough idle!

Nope, I must have grounded out all 4 o2 sensors. I replaced them with junk yard jewels and life is good. It runs perfect now.