• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Older NP231J in newer XJ

T-Wiggle

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a question. I have a 1991 Cherokee 4x4 that had a NP231J that blew up due to a bad front driveshaft. I’m putting an older 231J from a 1989 in it from a Jeep that had the vacuum disconnect front axle. According to Novak’s website, it says the older 231J doesn’t fully disconnect in 4x4. I have a lockrite locker in my front axle, so that’s gonna be a bad deal. Is there a way you can make an older 231J disconnect all the way so as to not cause any issues? Planning on putting locking hubs on but that won’t help me if the transfer case never disengages. Any help on this? Or anyone that can guide me in the right direction?

The simple and logical solution is to find the correct transfer case instead of attempting to modify what you have. I don't know if the Novak website data is correct, but any 1991 - 1993 transfer case from a donor XJ Cherokee with the same size engine will bolt right in. It shouldn't be that hard to find one.

I wouldn't invest in hubs, easier to find a good t-case and eliminate the CAD!

Back