• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer doesn’t work after transfer case rebuild

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
So I rebuilt my NP231 when I installed my SYE kit, my speedometer worked before I pulled the transfer case out but now it does not. I made sure that the cable is plugged in on the transfer case but no dice. Any advice?

Do you have the gear "indexed" correctly so that the gear is engaged?

How do I make sure that it is?

The sensor is marked for it's "tooth" count range.
speedo07.jpg

The sensor is marked for it's "tooth" count range.
speedo07.jpg

HA...if that's how it works (and I'm not saying it isn't), then why even change the gear, just rotate it a little more.....

Maybe that's how my speedo is only off by 2 mph @ 60 by GPS with stock parts and 31's.

In the OP he said the cable was hooked up properly indicating a mechanical speedo. What year is the Jeep? Also, just like what others have said, and it applies to both speedo types, I think it needs to be indexed correctly. I always go by feel, best way to get it right and engaged.

In the OP he said the cable was hooked up properly indicating a mechanical speedo. What year is the Jeep? Also, just like what others have said, and it applies to both speedo types, I think it needs to be indexed correctly. I always go by feel, best way to get it right and engaged.

Pretty sure by cable he really meant wiring since you plug in wiring, but connect cables.

Could be wrong tho..........:worship:

HA...if that's how it works (and I'm not saying it isn't), then why even change the gear, just rotate it a little more.....

Maybe that's how my speedo is only off by 2 mph @ 60 by GPS with stock parts and 31's.

The purpose to change the speedo gear, is to calibrate your speedo with the newlt installed axle gears. Just like the ring and pinion gear change in size to change axle gear ratio, you have to apply the same principle to the speedo gear.

When the size of the speedo gear changes (number of teeth), the distance to the mating surface of the tail shaft also changes. By having a rotating cam type of holder for the speedo gear, you can then adjust the mating surface distance to match and your speedo works correctly.

Back