• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbine wheel questions

Cleavon

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of turbines off of an 89 xj that I want to put on my 96 xj, but
The wheel centering hub on my front axle isn't long enough to fit inside the wheel bore. Looking online it appears that the 99+ bearings (as well as pre 90) have a longer hub and will fit my jeep if I use the correct disc rotor(I need new bearings and brakes anyway). Is this what others are doing to mount these wheels to 90-99 jeeps? The turbines center fine on the rear axle as the hub is about 3/16 or so longer.

My other question is about the recess on the mounting face of these wheels.
From the center bore out to the center of the lugs there is a slight recess(.090 I'm guessing). I searched the net for different year rotors and drums and I have yet to find any with a raised step on the face that would fill this gap. Is there one? My thinking was that the wheel might deform when torqued down due to the gap.

I have pics but I'm new here so I'm not allowed to post attachments yet.

Thanks

Stock XJ Cherokee rims are hub centric, meaning they index on the raised ring of the unit hub, but hub centric rims are not required on any XJ Cherokee.

I don't know what recess you are describing, but you aren't going bend a rim if you are using the correct lug nut torque.

If you're looking at the backside of the wheel and drew a circle that went through the middle of each lug hole, what's inside of that circle is recessed slightly. A 1" wide swath outside of that circle is what's left that makes contact with the mounting surface of the rotor.

I would rather have the hubs do the centering if I can.

The hub doesn't fit all the way thru the rim just inside the hole in the back. Just install and torque as usual. I have the factory turbines that came with my '89. IMHO the best looking rims for a XJ. Opinions vary.

The hub doesn't fit all the way thru the rim just inside the hole in the back. Just install and torque as usual. I have the factory turbines that came with my '89. IMHO the best looking rims for a XJ. Opinions vary.

X2.

On my factory '86 turbines, the centering flange does not fully protrude.

Dont over think it. Make sure that the threads on the studs and nuts are clean and in good shape, and torque to 100 lb ft. Then enjoy the beauty ;)

Back