• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve body HELP!!!!

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ auto and it shifts sometimes to 4th @ around 40 to 45 MPH there were 2 theories one is with the tranny and the other with torque converter I changed the TPS and the speed sensor and still have the same problem
there was a theory about the valve body solenoids????????????????
well i realy NEEEED your help cause i live in EGYPT and i dont trust the dealer they are going to let me pay a fortune around 1000$ and they are not going to guarantee solving it .What should i do???
THX in advance

karim_gabra said:
I have a 94 XJ auto and it shifts sometimes to 4th @ around 40 to 45 MPH there were 2 theories one is with the tranny and the other with torque converter I changed the TPS and the speed sensor and still have the same problem
there was a theory about the valve body solenoids????????????????
well i realy NEEEED your help cause i live in EGYPT and i dont trust the dealer they are going to let me pay a fortune around 1000$ and they are not going to guarantee solving it .What should i do???
THX in advance
R u saying it don't shift in to 4th most of the time?

If you believe it is shifting at the wrong time, do not forget to check the adjustment of the throttle cable (the one from throttle to transmission). This controls in part the timing of upshifts. It may not be the problem but it is very easy to adjust, so you might as well try it first. You will see on the cable sheath, where it attaches to the throttle body, a rather large button (it is in the shape, more or less of a "D"), which can be pushed in. With throttle closed, push in that button, and push the cable sheath as far back (away from the direction that the throttle goes when it opens) as it will go. Now, without holdiing on to that part at all, manually pull the throttle open as far as it will go. This will pull the cable sheath out to the proper position.

langer1 said:
R u saying it don't shift in to 4th most of the time?

I m saying that it shifts upto 4th very early so when i try to accelerate the engine cant rev (1500rpm) so either i shift manualy to 3rd or while my right leg is on the gas pedal i give a kick to the brake pedal automaticaly it returns to 3rd and the rpm goes up to 2000 RPM

Matthew Currie said:
If you believe it is shifting at the wrong time, do not forget to check the adjustment of the throttle cable (the one from throttle to transmission). This controls in part the timing of upshifts. It may not be the problem but it is very easy to adjust, so you might as well try it first. You will see on the cable sheath, where it attaches to the throttle body, a rather large button (it is in the shape, more or less of a "D"), which can be pushed in. With throttle closed, push in that button, and push the cable sheath as far back (away from the direction that the throttle goes when it opens) as it will go. Now, without holdiing on to that part at all, manually pull the throttle open as far as it will go. This will pull the cable sheath out to the proper position.

tried this one too all it does is make the shifts faster and clumzier and the problem is only going to 4th

I haven't got a clue what your problem is, but I have a couple of questions. Does it still shift early, into 4 th when you are near full throttle?
Have you tried re learning the computer? Disconnect/reconnect the battery, let it warm up in park, then idle in neutral for one minute, let it idle in drive for one minute, take it for a drive on a highway at moderate speed and then try some stops and go's. See if the shift points change.
Sure sounds like water in the TPS, but since it's new, I guess that is eliminated.
I'm thinking normally the shifts are delayed by more throttle, I really can't think of a reason for it to be shifting early, unless the TV cable is really loose. Will it shift into passing gear?
Really a curiosity, the normal problems are late shifts and early downshifts. Just the opposite of your problem.
Good luck and let us know what you find out. There is some wiring to be tested, before tearing into the valve body.

8Mud said:
I haven't got a clue what your problem is, but I have a couple of questions. Does it still shift early, into 4 th when you are near full throttle?
Have you tried re learning the computer? Disconnect/reconnect the battery, let it warm up in park, then idle in neutral for one minute, let it idle in drive for one minute, take it for a drive on a highway at moderate speed and then try some stops and go's. See if the shift points change.
Sure sounds like water in the TPS, but since it's new, I guess that is eliminated.
I'm thinking normally the shifts are delayed by more throttle, I really can't think of a reason for it to be shifting early, unless the TV cable is really loose. Will it shift into passing gear?
Really a curiosity, the normal problems are late shifts and early downshifts. Just the opposite of your problem.
Good luck and let us know what you find out. There is some wiring to be tested, before tearing into the valve body.

It never does it when i am flooring the pedal or when i am climbing a bridge
never tried to relearning the computer
the shifts are normal up and down except for going up to 4th gear tried the cable settings

I sure don't have any. The book says something in the electronics (or wiring), TV cable or valve body. I really can't see it being in the solenoids, because 4 th is OFF OFF, it seems any poor connection would affect another gear also. Anything other than the TPS or the TV cable is likely to fail or send a bogus signal thats low not too high.
By the way, most of the tranny controls are in a separate unit (TCU) and the only real input from the ECU (to the best of my knowledge) has little to do with vehicle speed, but more to do with throttle position.
The tranny has an internal speed sensor (pulse), that goes straight to the TCU (transmission control unit).
I'm really not sure if the electronic speed sensor in the transfer has any affect on the tranny or not.
Maybe somebody over on Jeeps Unlimited has an answer. Let us know what you find out.
Just something that may may or may not be relevant, but low input voltage to the TPS on my Renix, seems to make mine shift into fourth earlier. It doesn't seem to affect the lower gear shifts as much, but that may be because it runs through the gears pretty quickly and may not be as noticeable. I realize you have an OBD I and the renix symptoms may not be relevant, but the programming may be similar.

Back