• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Owner's worst nightmare

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
Well this was the Saturday from hell, I got up out of bed, got ready for work, walked outside keys in hand only to discover my Cherokee had been stolen during the night. I recovered it not far from my house. The police found it. What we have now are a new set of problems, I feel like total ass knowing a stranger took a joy ride in my baby, and he took eveything of value in there. So if anyone can offer any help on the following items it would be appriciarted. Thanks, for reading.

-Steering culumn replacement
-Door glass replacement
-Fixing binded linkages in a door
-Removing window cranks
-spotting possible suspesion/front suspension dammage.

Ecarlcl

There should be a special penalty for car thieves just like horse thieves in the 1800's.

Yes, it is a pain when someone screws with your vehicle. To date I have not had my stolen, just a window broken on my 86 mustang and the interior tossed for money.

I have a feeling I know the answer but did you have insurance on your XJ or did you just carry liability? Even if you have liability put your insurance agent to work finding the "good" speciality shops for you.

You are in a big enough town their may be a steering column shop, yes that all they do. They should be able to rebuild the column. You can pull the steering column, a buddy says it is easy, and take it in. It could be hours or a few days and the column will be restored. There were millions of those GM columns made and a lot of them trashed like yours, it can be rebuilt.

You may want to go to a body shop and see what they charge to fix the glass and door lock problems. It may be much more resonable, especially when you say you are paying for it, no insurance companies involved. This is where a donor vehicle in a junk yard will save you bacon for those parts although you may want to buy a new exterior door handle, the studs break off about half the time. I got 4 new ones and they ran $33 each retail at the dealer. My jeep dealer does not have a body shop but used one of the two shops they used. The dealer tech who works on my XJ told me to use the one and avoid the other one.

Remember the body shop deals with stuff like this all the time, they know the tricks to get it done fast and right. I think I paid a rate of $40/hour for a tech on the bid for my XJ accident repair.

The suspension you need to take it to a garage and have them do an alignment on it to see if things are true or not. The front end guy will be able to figure out if anything was damaged. Depending on what you find you may want to throw a new set of shocks on it since if they did anything hard to it they may start leaking. Remember is it an XJ designed for offroad, so relax and think they prod did not put the XJ through any more abuse an a good weekend of wheeling would do.

It fixable, just relax. I had my XJ in the body shop 11 weeks once I got the check from the 19 year olds insurance company. I had to have the body fixed and then a complete paint job. I hated being hit but now my XJ looks like it was manufactured in the past 2 months.

Sorry to hear about the theft. Hope you get it back up to snuff without too many headaches!

Sorry to hear of your loss, glad it was recovered timely and in *relatively* good condition.

The major saturday flea market here has GM columns for sale (I think a lot of the 'regular customers' may be driving, uhm,... 'borrowed' camaros, etc.)

I agree with martin about having a shop re-do the door.

Use a Club, they are a great visual deterrent.

i had some neighborhood _ _ _holes break into my xj,trashed it,they tried to steal the radio(had a surprise for them on that one).......cops could not do a thing,one was 12 two others 13.... they see me driving down the street and they just sneaker @ me....i told them that the day they turn 18 i will be @ there front doors waiting for them ...:mad: :mad:

I've got a 90 XJ Limited I am parting out this week or next weekend.

it's got a column w/ tilt, cruise, etc etc.
good glass all around...PM me if you want parts.

last tilt column which worked but was rather shoddy I sold for $45.00... this one is grey in the limited and in good shape.
everything works on it as well.
my passenger side in the limited was shattered, I replaced it myself, it's power though, and the glass is pretty decent think driver side has minor scratches.

Teron

tugboat said:
i had some neighborhood _ _ _holes break into my xj,trashed it,they tried to steal the radio(had a surprise for them on that one).......cops could not do a thing,one was 12 two others 13.... they see me driving down the street and they just sneaker @ me....i told them that the day they turn 18 i will be @ there front doors waiting for them ...:mad: :mad:

Damn kids...

Had the same crap happen to my Civic Si. I found out it was some kids down the street (had a small camera mounted) and cops did nothing, parents blew me off. :mad:

Back