• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drivers door lock switch- unlocks, but no lock?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Have an interesting issue with my driver's side door lock switch.

01 XJ, 2 door.

Power locks work fine from the key fob and the passenger side door. Will lock and unlock both doors and the hatch without issue (well, without issue now that I lubed up the hatch mechanism)

The drivers side door however will work for unlock, but not lock. I pulled the boot and checked the wiring, it looks fine, and since the unlock function works, my thinking is going to the switch itself being the issue.

Thoughts? Anyone else had a similar issue?

Does the drivers door solenoid activate for both lock and unlock ? If yes, clean and lubricate the latch and lock mechanisms. If no, apply 12 volts directly to the solenoid.

After you get done ruling out the switch and solenoid, check the wires as they pass through the door. Mine was doing the same exact thing. I recently did my hinge pin bushings and had the wires out of the door.

There were two completely severed wires/1 suspect in the harness. Door locks, speaker and windows now operate as they should.

Does the drivers door solenoid activate for both lock and unlock ? If yes, clean and lubricate the latch and lock mechanisms. If no, apply 12 volts directly to the solenoid.

I haven't pulled the panel yes, but since the door will lock and unlock from the keyfob or passenger door, my assumption is yes, the solenoid does.

I don't even get a click from the switch on the driver's side door when I push it to lock.

Dang, I just noticed you are in Houston...if you see a green 2000 XJ with fresh paint and a Brown Dog sticker on the back it's me.

Drivers door wiring issues on 97+ XJ's are well documented. The repair is simple, as described above. I've fixed both speaker wire and door lock issues due to broken wires.

Drivers door wiring issues on 97+ XJ's are well documented. The repair is simple, as described above. I've fixed both speaker wire and door lock issues due to broken wires.

So lock and unlock use a different wire?

Back