• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking when starting and shutting off?

turkeyassassin

NAXJA Forum User
Alright the problem is in my 97 XJ when I first start it and shut it off I can hear and feel this clunking underneath as if the trany mount was bad or loose, but when I lay under it and have someone else start it you can't really hear it on the outside and everything looks good on the mount. It has a manual tranny and a 4.0 motor mounts look good too. 5+ inch lift but it did this before the lift any ideas or anyone with the same issues?:helpme:

check the exhaust around the trans. crossmember-- I've seen a bunch of XJ's rattle/clunk at start up/shut down from the exhaust mount there being loose.

I'd take it for a drive and get her up to full operating temp and then check it again. Often times, it won't do anything weird when it's cold.

Try lifting the engine with a floor jack and see if the motor mounts will allow enough movement to let the exhaust bump anything.

I'd take it for a drive and get her up to full operating temp and then check it again. Often times, it won't do anything weird when it's cold.

Try lifting the engine with a floor jack and see if the motor mounts will allow enough movement to let the exhaust bump anything.
Good idea I'll be checkin that first thing in the mornig thanks.

After taking a closer look at the exhaust by the crossmember it for some reason sits real close to it so when I put pressure on the pipe with the floor jack and started it the clunk was gone. I guess I'll have to find a way to get it to mount a little higher. Thanks for your help Shorty much appreciatted.

Back