• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep shuts off when driving!

DetroitJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 xj and when I'm driving it just shuts right off with no hesitation just flat out shuts off. If i put it in neutral and turn it off and on it will start up. it will shut off at idle to sometimes and ones it just keep truing over. I changed ignition coil, distributor cap, Distributor Rotor, Wires, Pick up coil. Please help its my dd

On the occasions that it just turns over without starting you should try to determine whether you are not getting spark or fuel... This will assist you to troubleshoot the problem...
Two items that can cause this would be the CPSs.... Crank Position Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor.... Both are prone to failure due to continued exposure to engine heat.
The Crank Position Sensor is located on the bellhousing at the 11 o'clock position which provides the ECM information on when to fire the spark plugs and the Camshaft Position Sensor is located inside the distributor which provides the ECM information on when to pulse the fuel injectors.
Read this forum thread to assist in troubleshooting the problem.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1003757&page=2

Last edited:
I would verify it has no spark first, and then if that's the case go check the Cam and Crank sensors....it will likely be one of the two, that is the most common scenario...

Crank position sensor goes bad more often than the Cam position sensor. Please let us know if either works. You can also test them with a multimeter or try to force failure by heating with a hair dryer.

I'm going to try to replace the camshaft sensor see if that does it. Thank you all for your help

Cam sensor has nothing to do with spark. The older jeeps, 87-90 will start and run with out a cam shaft sensor.

I would check the battery clamps and posts, the the ignition switch way up under the dash, on top of the lower column. Get the jeep running, then wiggle the key mechanism. Crawl under the dash, flash light in hand and look for burned wires in the ignition switch.

CPS is a likely suspect, but it sounded like the NSS might be the real problem if you need to go to neutral to get it to re-start.

Dunno if this helps: I just cut out my coil input connector that had a broken snap, but was zipped tight, and soldered in a JY one. Even though it looked tight, it obviously could move a tiny bit, cause mine would cut out and sometimes not want to start unless I jiggled it. It might be time to unplug all sensor connectors and spray some contact cleaner.

Have had this happen on both my dad's TJ and my XJ, its the CPS. (The Crank Position Sensor)

I had a similar situation, the plastic on cover on the main positive wire had a worn out tiny section from rubbing and was making contact with the frame everytime I went over a bump or a pothole and the jeep would shut off, put it in nuetral it would start right up. Check if you have a similar issue.

Yes it was the The Crank Position Sensor. Thank you for all your help.

Great, don't be surprised if the NSS or its linkage gives you trouble next.

I have a 96' XJ AHB that it went out on me while I was in the middle of a pack of 4wd's on the interstate @ 73 mph - thanks god for good reactions and being cool calm and collected

neutral - key off - MAN HANDLE THE WHEEL - guide for center median (as I was in fast lane)

Back