• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Issue

hoopty1111

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I have a 1998 SE 4.0 AX-15. I bought it about a year ago and It always had a real stiff clutch action to it. Even compared to other AX15 jeeps i tried. So stiff it even bent my clutch pedal rod. The other day I parked it and went to step on the clutch to start it up again and the clutch went right to the floor with no resistance. My first move was to replace the master and slave. I believe I did that correctly. after i installed the master and slave (and bleeding it) the clutch pedal hardly goes anywhere and makes an awful grinding sound and tries to stall the jeep when i press it. After removing the slave again and putting my fingers on the fork. It moves in and out and up and down freely. Is there supposed to be any play to this? I grabbed my inspection camera and looked in the slave cylinder hole as best i could and there is definitely some clips dangling and one broken circular looking one resting on the bottom. What do you think has happened here? Currently preparing to drop the trans.

Thanks

Back