• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery Questions

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
Here's the scenerio....

7:00 pm on a DARK Tennessee backroad at about 65 miles an hour.

I hear a pop, and my truck (the '85) shuts off. I lose everything...lights, engine, turn signals, blinkers....

I get safely to the side of the road and pop the hood. I see steam coming off the radiator, and a small round wet spot, about 5 inches from side to side just below the rad hose, next to the battery.

The thing is, there is no coolant leak, and even if there was, that wouldn't cause me to lose electricitly. I later verified no cooling system breach becuase of no loss of coolant on the engine or ground.

Is it possible for one of the cells in the battery to "explode" essentially shutting down the entire system? The funny thing is, I see no evidence of acid on the outside of the battery...

What about the alternator? There is nothing in the alternator that could cause a wet spot on the radiator?

Any thoughts?

FYI, the battery in the Jeep is about 5 years old and I had just recharged it from a complete drain, the night before this happened.

Wow---21 views and no ideas or answers.

Anyway, I went out at lunch and looked it all over. I think I may have found the problem.

The positive battery cable was contacting the exhaust manifold and it had melted and shorted out.

New cable goes on tomorrow and we'll see what happens!

That doesn't explain the liquid on the radiator, but we'll see if I can get to the bottom of that too.

Cottontail said:
Wow---21 views and no ideas or answers.

Anyway, I went out at lunch and looked it all over. I think I may have found the problem.

The positive battery cable was contacting the exhaust manifold and it had melted and shorted out.

New cable goes on tomorrow and we'll see what happens!

That doesn't explain the liquid on the radiator, but we'll see if I can get to the bottom of that too.
Yes the battery is likely shot.
Put some bake soda on the water and see if it foams.

gcurtis said:
My guess:

Short killed the battery. Fluid could have spit out of the vent and caused your wet spot. Hit it with baking soda as Langer mentioned. Buy a new battery.

and most likely the altenator too, or at least the fuseable link. 85, computer is probibly fine (if it even has one). If it was a newer one the there would have been a good chance that it got it to. Most all vehicles will run (once started) with out a battery. It's not good on them though.

Last edited:
Put in a new + and - battery cable and a new battery and we are as good as new.

No problems with the alternator or the fuses as far as I know!

Thanks for your responses guys!

Cottontail said:
Put in a new + and - battery cable and a new battery and we are as good as new.

No problems with the alternator or the fuses as far as I know!

Thanks for your responses guys!
Wishfull thinking but it never happens that way for you. :wave:

You have read my other posts haven't you Langer.... :repair:

My guess is in reality, I will drive the truck and the alternator is shot and when the battery runs out of juice I'll be in for another tow job!

Maybe I'll get out of the Jeep business and get into street racing...or not.

Dammit I just love my ole Jeeps!

Back