• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't shift into Park or down into 1-2

XabuJr

NAXJA Forum User
So I tried searching and can't seem to find the problem I'm having. I tore out the interior of this Jeep, but didn't touch anything to do with the shifter or transmission. When I put the console back together after cleaning it, it won't shift from reverse into Park, or down into 1-2 on its own.

I have the cover of the shifter off, so I can work on it, but I have to use a screwdriver and basically force the metal piece that looks to move w/ pushing in the button on the shifter. As soon as I push that down it shifts into 1-2 or Park like it should. If I don't use the screwdriver it's just stuck in reverse or 3rd.

Any tips on fixing that? I'd hate to have to pull my console again. And I'd like to close it down and not have to use a screwdriver to shift.. haha

check the plastic rod, inside the handle. mine broke and if you don't put in in right you get weird shifts. that rod conects your handle to that little nub.

check the plastic rod, inside the handle. mine broke and if you don't put in in right you get weird shifts. that rod conects your handle to that little nub.

Like he said.

The T handle pops off up, I slap mine with my palms on the bottom of the T handle hard to pop it off.

The push button on the T handle drives a wedge onto the rod forcing it down. Turn the T handle upside down and work the push button and check the wedge for wear.

If the T handle isn't completely seated it can cause issues, bang down on the top of the T handle hard.

The plastic catch/snap ring that holds the T handle on can get worn. I actually had to drill and tap the side of my T handle base for a couple of set screws on my 87 so it stayed down all the way. My wife used to use the T handle as a hand grip to help settle her more substantial body parts into the seat properly, mine got pretty loose over the years.

If the plastic rod itself wears or the rod wears a serious groove into the wedge inside the T handle over the years, it can cause issues.

Reminds we still have a recall on our 91 for a pin in the shifter. I think it was to keep it from shifting unless the brake was pressed. Guess if that jeep ends up at the dealership somehow they'll do that repair.

But I think your problem is in the handle as previously stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screw Jeep Forum, NAXJA for the win.. haha I'll work on those ideas tonight. I thought it was back on properly, but I should have thought to take that off and try without and then fix the issue.

I think it was user error.. When I took the T-handle back off I could shift it flawlessly with the white button on top, so that piece is fine. When I put the handle back on, I used a small sledge hammer to pound it down. Now it shifts much, much better.. hahaha :)

I think that was one of the first problems I had ages ago when I bought my 87 used in 2004. I had forgotten that ordeal. A new T handle from a JY solved it. I misunderstood your first post, thought you were have internal Trans shift issues...not shifter issues. Congrats. Good answer 8mud!!!!

Back