• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A 17 year olds garage built rear bumper!

Cole93maxxxj

NAXJA Forum User
built this over the last 2 weeks of summer break. i built this all by myself (with a couple pointers from my paps), but i did all the work myself in my garage. it took me about 2 weeks to build. some pics of the build.
enjoy!
102_0403.jpg

102_0405.jpg

102_0405.jpg

102_0409.jpg

102_0415.jpg

102_0414.jpg

102_0418.jpg

102_0421.jpg

102_0423.jpg

102_0427.jpg

102_0430.jpg

102_0429.jpg

102_0432.jpg

Looks good. What did you use for the hinge?

Looks pretty good but more importantly how is it mounted? Also are those d ring tabs just butt welded or are they tied in? Cant tell from the pics
those tow points go all the way through the bumper and are tied into the bolt that hold the receiver hitch.

Looks good. What did you use for the hinge?
the hinge is just a piece of pipe and a couple ball bearings.

any pics with the gate open and the tire swung out?
102_0450.jpg

gonna want more support on the tubes holding the tire. looks good other wise
i was going to gusset it. but its solid as hell, really wasn't necessary

OK, buisness time! that axle shaft... needs more supports, like this

any plans to tie it into the tow hitch nutstrip? ala ?

i also feel like that stinger hoop for the tire carrier, could use gussets.... if not tubing reinforcments.... welds look good from what i can see... but tires are heavy...and bounce around... and flex the tire carrier.... next thing you know, youve ruined some day by losing a spare tire on the freeway. thats the last thing you need!

I like it, I think I would have cut and folded the lower quarterpanels while I was there with the welder, then extended the bumper caps a bit.

Back