• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Losing coolant and temp gauge all over the place

Jeepmedic46

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My 2000 Cherokee Sport is going thru coolant in the reservoir. It’s not leaking on the ground. My temperature gauge is reading 190-200. But it will go down to 100 and not register then go back up. Is the loss of fluid the head gasket or could it be something else?

Sounds like the symptoms my 2k had when the head went bad. I've been really happy with my Clearwater Cylinder Head which eventually got re-done by RussP.

The oil may still be okay but since you have the 0331 head 99% chance that's the problem and it will only get worse. Better pop a new head on there Pronto, or you will be looking for a new engine.

I would look at the exhaust ports between 3&4 under the valve cover for a crack. I do have a 2000 XJ. It has 260K on it. I don't know if the head has been replaced. I've had it only 2 years or so. If it is loosing coolant through the head, your oil should be milky. You should be able to see the area between the 3&4th exhaust ports through the oil cap hole. That is usually were they crack. Could be a warped head.
A few alternate ideas. First is the thermostat. If it is bad, ie malfunctioning, the temps might be low in cold weather. Another is the water pump. I have had an impellor come lose on a Dodge Neon. The motor would be fine, then spike, then get cool, then spike again. I'd also replace the radiator cap. The seal could be bad, or the spring weak. Usually, replace a radiator cap every 5 years. Its an item I replace on any used car I buy.
I did have a '78 Gremlin. It loosed coolant. Guys said to replace the thermostat. I did. Still, lost coolant. Then I read "Auto Repair for Dummies' by Dena Sclair. In that, the radiator cap regulates the pressure of the coolant system. Keeps it from boiling.
Do not dismiss the cracked or warped head idea. If it is that, you can damage the engine. I did get an engine that was damaged for that issue, sans the head. I sold a TUPY head to the dealership from an '03 WJ. The cam was wiped out. Later that block was used to get a TJ running from parts from 3 motors.

I would look at the exhaust ports between 3&4 under the valve cover for a crack. I do have a 2000 XJ. It has 260K on it. I don't know if the head has been replaced. I've had it only 2 years or so. If it is loosing coolant through the head, your oil should be milky. You should be able to see the area between the 3&4th exhaust ports through the oil cap hole. That is usually were they crack. Could be a warped head.
A few alternate ideas. First is the thermostat. If it is bad, ie malfunctioning, the temps might be low in cold weather. Another is the water pump. I have had an impellor come lose on a Dodge Neon. The motor would be fine, then spike, then get cool, then spike again. I'd also replace the radiator cap. The seal could be bad, or the spring weak. Usually, replace a radiator cap every 5 years. Its an item I replace on any used car I buy.
I did have a '78 Gremlin. It loosed coolant. Guys said to replace the thermostat. I did. Still, lost coolant. Then I read "Auto Repair for Dummies' by Dena Sclair. In that, the radiator cap regulates the pressure of the coolant system. Keeps it from boiling.
Do not dismiss the cracked or warped head idea. If it is that, you can damage the engine. I did get an engine that was damaged for that issue, sans the head. I sold a TUPY head to the dealership from an '03 WJ. The cam was wiped out. Later that block was used to get a TJ running from parts from 3 motors.

Thank you, I'll see if I can find any cracks visibly in the cylinder head. My oil looks good so far, not milky at all. Radiator, fans are all new. I think it has a new thermostat. Unfortunately i didn't do the work. I have no grip in my hand. I won't dismiss the cracked head or warped head. Hoping its not that.

I'd also see if you can have the cooling system pressure tested. That would indicate weather there is a leak in the system or something else. Also, check the spark plugs. If one or some are very clean, then it could be a head gasket, it warped head.

My 2000 Cherokee Sport is going thru coolant in the reservoir. It’s not leaking on the ground. My temperature gauge is reading 190-200. But it will go down to 100 and not register then go back up. Is the loss of fluid the head gasket or could it be something else?

I have an 01 and had coolant loss and couldn't figure it out. I also thought it was the reservoir bottle but once when it was running, I noticed a slow trickle of coolant coming out of the AC evaporator/Heater core housing drain hose on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

So, it was the heater core and did not leave any coolant on the ground when parked after driving, only when it was running and for some reason there was absolutely no coolant on the passenger side of the interior, which you would expect. So, I'd give that a look. You could even bypass the heater core and see if that stops your leak.

Jeepmedic46.

When I bought my used 2000XJ I knew it was losing coolant. I pulled the head and had it pressure-tested and magnafluxed to be sure it was not cracked. Then I had it resurfaced/reground and I reinstalled it with a quality head gasket and new ARP head bolts. That was about 100,000+ miles ago and it runs very well.

I had a similar problem when I bought my used 88XJ. It was under the dealer's warranty so I returned it to the dealer to have it pressure-tested and it passed the dealer's pressure-test, Then on a hot day, under hard acceleration, I saw a puff of white smoke out the exhaust. That indicated to me that the gasket was sealing normally, but on a had acceleration the gasket was unsealing. The possibilities were; slight warpage of the head,or a poor quality gasket, or a head bolt elastically stretching at high compression(i.e. like a relief valve) to allow a gasket leak and then resealing when the compression pressure dropped. I returned the car to the dealer and described the white puff of smoke on acceleration and they fixed the problem(i.e. pulled the head, resurfaced the head, and reinstalled head with a quality gasket).

Best regards,

CJR

Thank you, I'll see if I can find any cracks visibly in the cylinder head. My oil looks good so far, not milky at all. Radiator, fans are all new. I think it has a new thermostat. Unfortunately i didn't do the work. I have no grip in my hand. I won't dismiss the cracked head or warped head. Hoping its not that.

A very slight leak into the valve cover area might evaporate quickly enough (and go out the PCV) to prevent obvious accumulation in the oil. If its not the heater core, its likely the head.

Back