• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I-5 passable Friday/ Saturday am?

PDeeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Was thinking of driving up to Auburn to pick up 2 doors from John on Friday evening like midnight ish or 2am saturday but wasn't sure if I'd make it because I've heard part of I-5 may still be under water.

I travel up there like once a year and don't know ...

Input? Will I be okay? Will I be waiting forever or have to go around through Yakima?

b

PDeeXJ said:
Was thinking of driving up to Auburn to pick up 2 doors from John on Friday evening like midnight ish or 2am saturday but wasn't sure if I'd make it because I've heard part of I-5 may still be under water.

Input? Will I be okay? Will I be waiting forever or have to go around through Yakima?

b

WA DOT said:
5 is closed in both directions from just north of exit 68 to exit 88 due to flooding. The exit ramps at milepost 68, to and from US 12, remain open to traffic for detour purposes. Recommended detours are I 90, I 82, and I 84. The closure will be in place for the next several days due to clean-up and repairs.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/trafficalerts/default.aspx?refnum=130693&action=2

PDeeXJ said:

b

This morning they were saying most likely closed through the weekend. As water recedes, they're finding damage to every part they inspect...

/doomed

:wow:

I'm looking at the opposite run. I have a work training class and MOJOJOJO has afew parts I'm interested in.... But the suggested bypass route is a lot of added hours. I'll be watching the news sites... www.katu.com has been pretty up to date.

ECKSJAY said:
Is 101 open? That wouldn't be a terrible alternative...

Nope

i thought i heard on the news that it was going to open up for big rigs, but i could be wrong, i had the wife rambling in one ear and the kids screaming in the other when it was on tv!

I'm sitting here, waiting for the word of the (WSDOT) man. I've got to take a loaded truck to meet our driver in Yakima, who came down from Edmonds. However, if the freeway opens before I have to leave at 8 tonight, I just get to drive north and meet him in Edmonds, which would be great since Status Pass on 97 out east has been getting snow.
For once I'm actually glad to be driving a truck :)

I came down the by pass Hwy 97 through Yakima earlier this week on my way from Seattle to Portland and then Eugene. I will be leaving Eugene some time Friday (I have no idea when yet) and currently it looks like I will have to take the by pass back up Hwy 97 on the way home also.

If you don't have to go, I wouldn't recommend it. Estimate an added 2.5 - 3 hours on the normal 3 hour trip from Portland to Seattle or vise-versa. Keep in mind that there is a lot of additional traffic (particularly large trucks) on this by pass and many parts of it are only 1 lane in each direction and there are several small hill climbs/passes and a couple of larger ones.

It has not been a fun addition to my work week ;)

Tracey, I will call you to see if you want me to pick up parts from Rod on my way back though Portland tomorrow.

Michael

2xtreme said:
I came down the by pass Hwy 97 through Yakima earlier this week on my way from Seattle to Portland and then Eugene. I will be leaving Eugene some time Friday (I have no idea when yet) and currently it looks like I will have to take the by pass back up Hwy 97 on the way home also.

If you don't have to go, I wouldn't recommend it. Estimate an added 2.5 - 3 hours on the normal 3 hour trip from Portland to Seattle or vise-versa. Keep in mind that there is a lot of additional traffic (particularly large trucks) on this by pass and many parts of it are only 1 lane in each direction and there are several small hill climbs/passes and a couple of larger ones.

It has not been a fun addition to my work week ;)

Tracey, I will call you to see if you want me to pick up parts from Rod on my way back though Portland tomorrow.

Michael

THe other alternative is Hiway 12 to Hiway 7 To Puyallup. They are not allowing big rigs to travel that route but personal vehicles can slide on by. So Michael if you aren't driving the wife's monster truck you could try that route. It still looks like an hour plus added and I'm sure those are one lane in each direction type roads. Latest I heard is maybe tonight for Semis only on one lane of each direction of I5....

http://www.komotv.com/news/12156246.html

Last edited:
Well here is the latest info:
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/News/2007/12/06_5pmUpdateCrewstoOpentoTruckTraffic.htm

Basically, it is open to Commercial Freight traffic only currently.
They hope to have it open some time on Friday.

They do a VERY poor job of showing the detour routes!!

If it is still closed when I come north I think I will try taking Hwy 12 to Morton and then North on Hwy 7 to Elbe/Eatonville/Spanaway. Sounds like a load of fun on a Friday night!!

Michael

So now it says

"I-5 is now open to all traffic between milepost 68, south of Shehaylis and milepost 88, south of Olympia. Drivers should expect heavier than normal traffic today as the back-log of traffic clears. Also there is a reduced speed limit in effect of 50 miles per hour through the area."

The area between 68 and 88 was the area that was closed... that is now open? correct?

Wide open. 50mph through Centrallia. Here I go.....

Yep. Twas fun. Made it there and back in approx. 6 hours.

Frickin' cops... so we stop at a pilot, and this drunk dude does the most perfect reverse drive down a street, into the pilor lot and parks next to a pump. We go inside and get some goodies and come out to find him sitting on the bumper of an all black police cruiser. I was sad. So we go to leave and this chick waves us down. Says she was with the dude but doesn't want to get a minor in possession so we take her to tacoma and the dude never got a ticket or arrested and he was deerunk. So I drop her off in the middle of the road at a red light and a cop pulls up... Light turns green and he follows. I try to slow down to let him pass but he must have been scanning my plates... cruise controlled at a perfect 60mph and after 4 miles he left me alone finally.

Washington is nuts. So many cops. So many drunk drivers. So much easy money.

Oh and pumping my own gas... wtf. lame.

we stopped at walmart in the town that flooded and there was a ton of people... don't know if they were employees or a town refuge..?

Yup. Lots of Staters. Three with "customers" on my way south this morning.
Around the Fort Lewis area a 4door '97 + XJ steel blue with a Seahawks logo on the rear d/s qtr window was driving VERY aggrsssively. I ended up catching up with it a bit down the road... doing 60 exactly...with an unmarked unit right behind it. They passed a fully marked unit sitting on the side and it pulled out and lit up the pretty blue and reds.... I'd guess that will be a big ticket.

I looked but didn't see an Auburn Car Repair & Offroad sticker... I was gonna call John if I did :jester: .

Got to see the Mojojojo Beast and meet it's handler / tamer Rod. Thanx for the parts! :viking:

Back