• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disconnect bracket and trac bar bracket rubbing.

CJ's98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
About a year ago I installed an RE lift onto My 98 XJ. Couldn't be happier with it. Worth the extra bucks. Abour 6 months ago i began to notice a loud click when the front left suspension would compress while still connected to the sway bar. Like it does every time I pull into and out of my driveway. Click. I couldn't feel anything and it didn't effect performance any. I was unable to locate it. Now that it has been a while, Click, the big scrape mark on the side of the trac bar mount bracket kinda gives it away. When the suspension compresses and the sway bar is forced up, the bracket that bolts the disconnect to the sway bar hits and then rubs against the side of the trac bar mount bracket. It appears to be cosmetic, but I want to be sure that there isn't a bigger underlying problem. I haven't been in any wrecks or hit the front end hard. What is the best fix? I plan on just grinding down the edge of the disconnect bracket a little. Click. It's driving me nuts. Click.

what lift are u running and how much? are the disco connects on backwards ? there should be plenty of room there.

Edit: i just went and looked at mine. i can barely fit my pinky inbetween the swaybar and the track bar bracket. but there is deffinately room. my guess is your sway bar is bent a lil bit. try just heating it up a bit and bending it out till it clears.

i had a similar problem with my sway bar hitting the bumper/tow hook bracket bolt head when i would hit a speed bump or pot hole etc... fire and a BFP (big f-ing pry bar) worked for me.

Last edited:
RE 3 1/2". Both the driver's side and Pasenger side disco brackets are identical and each is symmetrical (spelling?) in shape. I don't wheel it hard, use it more like base camp for mt biking and fishing trips. I know it wasn't caused by any damage. The axle sits centered under the Jeep, so it can't be that puling it off to one side. It's seems to just be an annoyance.......i just don't like strange noises that aint supposed to be there coming from under my Jeep.

can u ajust the sway bar links a bit shorter so it pulls the part thats hitting below the track bracket ?

just make sure you do both sides equaly

Back