• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust manifold 96XJ4.0 Automatic

SimphotoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need help with removing, selecting a new one and installing an exhaust manifold on a 96xj Classic, 4.0 with Auto Trans. The car is mostly stock, and I have a leak or crack in the manifold now. Who makes the best one, for stock replacement. Nothing fancy. and is it a huge problem to change out? my dealer wants over a grand to repalce it, the OEM part is $350.00+. This XJ has 130,000 miles on it and i am the original owner. Still in EXCELLENT shape.

Please help!

Take it off, and weld it! If you can't do it yourself, ask someone who can. It looks difficult to get off, but I took mine off in about one minute, was quite amazed. But that was with the engine on the table, though it shouldn't be too hard when it's in either, you just have to disconnect the exhaust pipe, and somehow get it out and up or down past the engine.

its not that bad of a job, any person with decent mechanical knowledge can do it if they use there head. what your gonna wanna do is remove your air box and air filter. Then loosen the power steering pump bolts so you can take the belt off the P/S pump, once the belt is off, completely unbolt the P/S pump but leave the lines connected to it, you can just find a spot for it and put it to the side. Disconnect your Throttle and kickdown cables from the throttle body and set them aside, then go around and disconnect all the vacuum hoses and sensors that are on the intake manifold, be sure you label them all though so you know how to put them back together. I'm not sure if the two fuel lines get in the way or not but if they do then just disconnect them and manuever them out of the way. Next unbolt the exhaust front pipe from the exhaust manifold, then just go around and remove all the bolts holding the Intake and exhaust manifolds on, your gonna have to take both manifolds off as they share some of the same bolts. Once its off just make sure you scrape all of the old gasket off the head so the new gasket will seal correctly. Just reverse all the steps to put it back on.

Eric

Nope, I just took of the exhaust manifold, didn't have to touch the intake manifold at all. But come to think of it it's probably a good idea to change the gasket behind both manifolds, as it's the same gasket.. good point.

Yes, he does have to take the intake manifold off because re-useing the old gasket defeats the purpose of trying to fix the leak in the first place. A new gasket is a must.

Eric

Back