• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tipping? not a city in china?

ang31-0f-d347h

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so ive had bad mechanic luck.

people xxxx me over... over charge me.

So what happens if you find a good mechanic?

do you tip him?

or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
My guy owns his own shop. I send him a card and a gift at Xmas time. I usually bump up and round off pricing to the nearest 100. He gives me good pricing so I end up paying what the average Joe would.

In my case I provide alot of extra maintenance on the computers in his shop. He still pays when I build them or replace parts but go in monthy and clean them up both inside and outside. When it comes time for parts I get them at cost, get to use some tools like the balancing machine [though he does have this habit of 'while you're over there doing yours would you mind mounting and balancing these other 4'..], it all works out in the end. I also send him business, I'll give someone my business and personal card with his name and phone on the back and tell them to hand it to the service writer. He does the same for me. It's just one of those things local small business's do for each other beside chamber of commerce stuff...

I've found a good one, I just send all my friends and co-workers there. Five or six more regular customers is worth a lot more than a tip.

I had one I thought was good previously, until they tried to screw-over my wife when she went there by herself. "Welllll......it'd be $350.00 to replace the heater core, it's a lot of work, but there's this box that breaks sometimes...and then it'd be $600.00..." She expressed her opinion on the matter very eloquently. I think she made them blush.

Dunno - as I've said before, there are three mechanics in the country I trust, and I'm the only one in California...

Having said that, there are a few small places I use for parts (I've got an alternator shop that does good work, a radiator/AC shop I trust, and things like that that I've used for several years now,) and I do something similar to what RichP does - I send business their way. Even though I'm not really anyone (in the business world...) I print small batches of "calling cards" for handing to people that I think are worth talking to. I've got a habit of writing shop contact info on the back - and tell them to hand in the card when they get there. Sometimes, they get a "new customer" discount (not much - like five points or so) but it's for the reference. I also find that my personal prices get slowly but steadily better - I'm down to Jobber at most parts houses now, and that's a HUGE help!

5-90

hmm...

I wish I had the money to send him a hooker. Just got my jeep back. Went and picked it up. AMAZING. no wobble at all. not if when I TRIED... and I mean TRIED to make it happen. Car is solid.

Tony Hoyt in Pinellas Park. great guy great shop (Hoyt Automotive)

I don't tip shops.

I refer customers. And I make certain they understand that the first time they screw one of my referrals, the referrals stop.

We have been using a certain exhaust shop at my work to do our exhaust and i have referred several people..... that is until the dumb mechanic (if you want to call him that) hit my fuel line with a torch and sent my jeep up in flames and then while repairing them he hit it again lighting a lighter up to it and sent my jeep in flames again and him to the hospital..... now no more referals plus i tell people to stay away and we switched shops at work. He lost quite a bit of business.

Back