• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about RE Lift Kits...need your $.02

J's01XJ

NAXJA Forum User
After searching this forum I have a couple of questions about lift kits.

There has been resounding appreciation (and recommendations) for the Rubicon Express kits in general, and I'm looking at the 3.5" ones, but am not sure if I want the Super-Ride or Super-Flex.

Just a little background info:
This is going to go on my '01 xj DD and I just started getting into taking it out with a Jeep club this summer. I currently go wheelin' about 2-3x a month. Nothing crazy, but right now I am mostly driving up to watch others do obstacles.
I am looking at putting 31x10.5x15 BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A on just some black steely wheels like AR-767s or something similar.

So my questions are:
Would the Super-Flex over the Super-Ride be more suited for my needs(I’m sure they’re gonna change as I continue driving and getting more brave) or vice-versa?

And secondly, is it worth the extra $220 for the spring pack kits versus picking up the AAL version?

Thanks in advance.
– J

I happen to like the kit, at least the one I got 2 years ago, the super flex will have a little harsher ride, the super ride uses rubber bushings on both sides of the control arms, and rides a tiny bit softer. I would get the full leaf pack if you can afford it, generally speaking stuff like blocks and add a leafs are not so great for the exisiting springs, you'll get some short term gains, but overall you may have rear spring problems later on.

If you can afford it, get the spring packs. Or if you feel like wrenchin, get some spring packs off a S10 Blazer ZR2 model. They basically bolt right up and ride pretty good/ flex great. (and you can get em for less than $50)

Definitely buy spring packs of some kind (RE, S-10, etc) - AAL is a temporary solution, you'll regret it when it sags later.

As for SF vs. SR - I run the Superflex and love it - the ride isn't too harsh on road, and the flex is real good for a 3.5" kit on stock upper arms.

ramp.jpg

Get the superflex with spring packs, when you decide to lift more later all you have to do is add the rear shackle and new front coils and you will have a 4.5" kit, you could add the upper control arms if you wanted to for a complete 4.5, also definatly do the JKS quicker diconnect upgrade, the one you would need will be good fro 3" to 6" of lift so it would not be a waste of money either

Back