• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lousy, no good good texas polytishuns and po's

wildcat-xj

NAXJA Forum User
so i go today to pay my share to keep texas bootiful :moon:(tax, title license). now days they dont charge tax based on sale price. now it's based on "value". well guess what they say my 21 year old jeep is worth.

$6450.00 :flamemad::flamemad: $400 in tax! Plus late fees and $100 for tags.

so the nice lady tells me i can have it appraised and pay tax on that so long as it is on the state approved form. so after spending an hour on the phone with every appraiser in town, the last one is "state licensed". he says he would be happy to help me.......for $200. says the jeep cant be worth more than $1500 on the high side. so i save money on tax, but i'm just paying him the difference.

then she tells me the tags expired in 2002. what? the tag on the windshield says 4/10. so i get home and look at it. the number in the top left corner doesn't match license plate! call a cop friend and he runs it. it is to a car the po owns, but not the jeep. then he tells me to get that sticker off there cause cops could take you in on that charge if you get stopped.:flamemad::flamemad:

so now it looks like the jeep is gonna be sittin in the drive way for a little while.

thanks for listening to my rant. im a little upset to say the least.:smsoap::smsoap::smsoap:

Yeah I hate the way they do it now. But if you know someone with a car lot or dealers license have them do it under there name. When a dealer takes it to the tax office they go by what the cost is and not the value, atleast thats how I've done mine.

So wait the guy who sold you the Jeep put a sticker/plate on it from another vehicle he owns that was current?

I'd pay him a visit with your officer friend.

If it makes you feel any better, it cost me $35 each to register all three of my vehicles and my annual property tax on all three is around $220. That is on a 96XJ, 01 F250 quad cab, and a 2007 4door JK. LOL

Last time I registered an older truck, anything past 10-15 years, they didnt go by the "value", only by the bill of sale. That was for a 91 model truck. I think they quoted you on the wrong year model. There is NO way a 89 is worth that much.

They said mine was worth like 800 and its a 93. Was like 140 to register it, same for my sisters. Unfortunatly its hard to agree they entered the wrong year if they said the tag expired in 02 then u found out it was a fake tag...but who knows ide go and have them retell u the value

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone else, there has to be some problem with the info that was entered (or the clerk needs some extra cash to make catch her mortgage up hehe). I'd definitely check back with them to see where the mistake is. Maybe she forgot to enter the mileage?

i went back up to the tax office this morning to see if there was an error. now its valued at $6200 and since i'm past the 21 day purchase date i can't even do the independent appraiser route. when they put in the vin number all it says it "89 jeep 2 door". i begged, i pleaded, i got loud. the supervisor got involved. in the end i got the standard "sorry sir, the price is set by the state, there is nothing we can do." so i bent over, hoping there was at least a jar of ky nearby (there wasn't) and wrote the check. i just paid 50% of the sale price in tt&l. it's ok. it all comes out in the wash i reckon.:moon::moon:

Man you should have gone to another county or something.... you got completely screwed there.

Back