• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Sahara - What's it worth?

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
1999 Sahara White w/tan interior.
4.0/auto
Hard & soft tops
A/C

131K miles. The guy is asking $5K, I think it is too high.

I would say a fair price for that is between 3 and 4 grand.

But its hard to tell if you don't know what kind of shape its in with paint/rust and a whole bunch of other factors. My estimate is mileage based only.

Also, prices change a considerable degree from place to place.

Wranglers hold their value much better than XJ's do. That price doesn't seem too horrible, have you checked KBB or edmunds.com?

considering your location that sounds like a deal.

I paid $3600 for my '79 CJ7 in good condition... so I'd say $5k is a pretty good price for a '99 (assuming it doesn't have cancer or anything).

Wrangler?
Fair price? Maybe, maybe not.
Normal? Yeah.
People must think these things are indestrucable or something. TJs and even YJs usually demand a price that is unfairly high in my opinion. But around here it would probally go for even more, I think.

Wrangler?
Normal? Yeah.
People must think these things are indestrucable or something. TJs and even YJs usually demand a price that is unfairly high in my opinion. But around here it would probally go for even more, I think.

I was very close to paying $3500 for a 91 YJ with a bunch of miles on it... guy wouldn't budge on the price by more than $200.

Called him the next day to say I'll take it, he sold it at asking price.

People are willing to pay what's asked for them.

Wrangler?
Normal? Yeah.
it's a specialty vehicle that is not useful for anything else

if you can buy one then you have money to waste on a specialty vehicle

sellers know that buyers have money to waste

We got two of them, wranglers, XJ and a ZJ, the TJ works fine for me, I don't consider it a specialty vehicle, I consider it an easier to work on Jeep.
Check the frame though, back by the shocks, they tend to rust and if it's an immigrant from say NY state really look it over, they use a blue spray that should be called 'rust cars faster' to pre-treat the roads there during the winter hence the NY state standard of two cars, one for winter and your good car for the rest of the year.

I would pretty well jump on a sahara for that price provided it was in pretty good shape.

a wrangler is in the same category as a weekender pleasure boat, or a sports car, or any other kind of specialty vehicle that is not capable of being used for cargo or multiple passengers

people charge accordingly

Last edited:
Except that it's a 4 (5?) seater, or a 2 seater with cargo capacity. not everyone needs a family car. If anything I'd call a Wrangler a practical specialty vehicle.

I paid $3600 for my '79 CJ7 in good condition... so I'd say $5k is a pretty good price for a '99 (assuming it doesn't have cancer or anything).

no offense, but you're comparing apples to oranges. their resale values are not comparable any more so than xj's to tj's as they're completely different vehicles.

$5k is a good deal in my opinion if the frame is not all rotted..as mentioned above, check it over good. many of the 97-01 TJ frames are rotting as bad as YJ's & CJ's.

I don't normally see many at all in my area sell for that unless they're 2.5l 4 bangers. I wouldn't say you're stealing it at that price either, but it's definitely a fair price.

Back