• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Am I crazy?

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
I have the chance to buy a 2000ish F350 dually, 4x4, V10, for dirt cheap. I want to use it to convert my 73 F250 into a 4x4 and add overdrive. I know I'd need to add leaf spring mounts to the front, probably need to build a new or modify the 350's crossmember for the transmission and transfer case. My truck already has a D60 out back, but it'd be up for sale. Neither truck runs at the moment, so there's that...

If I go through with this, anyone that helps would have their pick of whatever Jeep parts I have in the garage, within reason. I mean, like, I wouldn't want one person claiming the AGR Super Box and the 73 D60 or whatever...:)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you do it....I would swap the whole chassis. Just drop the 73 body on it and call it done.

I'd thought about that. The new truck is a crew cab long bed while the 73 is a regular cab long bed. Would moving body mounts and shortening the frame be easier? Seems like it'd be fewer things to do at least, especially since I need to do bushings on all the body mounts anyways.

Wow, this is a username that I haven't seen in awhile.

But back on topic, I think shortening the newer frame would be best option. Cab mounts are way easier to sort out compared to motor/trans/suspension mounts.

Well, I guess all that's left is to get the thing home, and figure out a time and place to get this done! And money of course...

Money? I've heard that word used before. Hmmm?

Borrowed the work truck and brought her home today. It actually started up when I put a battery in it and drove up onto the trailer under its own power.
448e37d480d98ca2fec343bcac4feb40.jpg

Now I'm having second thoughts...I kinda wanna fix the dually. It needs doors, a grille, some engine work, and maybe solenoids for the transfer case. Only 151k miles, interior is in ok shape, the backseat is in great shape with lots of space, and it actually has a back seat and 4 wheel drive. Those were the key features I wanted when I bought my 73...
dc59f0c3ccf6a6025cc5dd3783fbee04.jpg
b0cda856419bc950108b5a8340c114ff.jpg
051ab08b27714107293a9ff9cf240c4d.jpg

Tube doors FTW.

How the heck did it get into the condition it's currently in? Any ideas?

Somebody forgot to duck tape the doors on.
:doh:

Supposedly someone ran diesel through it and it, of course, didn't run right after that. They tried fixing it themselves but couldn't, so it was parked at the boneyard on base. As for the body damage/missing parts, it spent a lot of time off road in the hands of people who don't regularly drive trucks that size. The doors and grill were stolen while it was in the boneyard. The interior's nice though! Lol well, the back seat is at least.

Took her out for a spin today. Running a lot better, 4wd engaged and disengaged much smoother. I'm starting to think fixing her isn't such a bad idea.

Got my Silverado stuck today and the $200 Doorless Dually was able to rescue it. Snapped my strap then hooked up the chain and it pulled it right up out of its holes and up the hill.
4841dac5d2908221c8a5b7ed41fcbcd7.jpg
9dce992ec4479a8bf98a1b241b2517b8.jpg
d976137ebba055ff3b4413200e98025c.jpg
46341715937bd349b0c008129162c89a.jpg

Back