• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Key Stuck

Jester99

NAXJA Forum User
First of all this is for my friends 2000 Limited. The key will not turn over to start or back to auxiliary, its just stuck in place. The steering wheel is also locked in place. Any ideas on what this could be and how to fix it? It does have power at least.

Is the key just stuck in the off position as it will not turn at all?

although the wheel is locked, try turning the wheel real hard while you turn the key. sometimes the steering wheel lock gets jammed and you need to release pressure from it allowing you to turn the key.

Is the key pretty worn? Has is progressively gotten harder to turn as time went on? If it is pretty worn take it to a locksmith and have a new one cut to code.

Are you positive that its the right key? Does it work in the doors? I only ask, because one time I got my keys mixed up and almost tore the steering column apart befor I realized it.

Back