• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to mount remote-mount transmission cooler?

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
So I want to get the aux cooler from out of the front of the AC condenser. Where could I mount a remote cooler with fan? I see few spaces suitable.:smoker:

Why, the factory fan pulls more air!

Why, the factory fan pulls more air!

Yes it does. I'm a huge fan of the mech fans. Jeep has heat creep when idling with AC on for about an hour. When driving, the Jeep cools down. I have a Hayden 679 cooler in front of the mechanical fan side of the radiator/condenser. I'm assuming any increase in airflow through through the radiator would help stop the heat creep at idle, and yes the fan clutch is a new NAPA one. And i do understand that the transmission cooler is currently in the best position for cooling, but I suspect that if it was not there, the engine might run cooler at idle. 240°F at idle is annoying, and it's only been 110°F outside recently. When it hits 120°F I don't want to overheat.

I haven't updated my location, but I've been in Phoenix for 3 years. I'd be very interested to hear about your setup, since you are in Phoenix also? Happy 4th!

I was reading somebody's web page on there XJ build , they used a radiator fan from something else , it was a plastic fan that had more blades and pulled more air . they were saying it pulled so much air that the electric fan almost did not come on . the problem is I can not find that web page that had the XJ build to find out what kind of fan they used . maybe some one here knows of this upgrade to the fan .

Also, the electric fan should come on with the AC regardless of what the other fan is doing. It's controlled by the compressor circuit as well as the temperature sending unit/switch/computer etc.

I haven't updated my location, but I've been in Phoenix for 3 years. I'd be very interested to hear about your setup, since you are in Phoenix also? Happy 4th!

I've been in Phoenix for 55yrs now and I bought this 2000 brand new, but it's come along way! I'm running a 4.6 stroker with a Griffin radiator and a Hesco water pump, everything else is stock and never been replaced. I've got a Hayden trans cooler and by tomorrow a Hayden power steering cooler.
P1080549_zpskj0oyb9u.jpg

Does you jeeps coolant gauge hit the next tick mark after 210?

I "used" to hit the 220* mark when towing, but not since I put in the "Griffin" and the "Hesco". Since building the stroker and re-doing the trans cooler it runs straight up at 210* not matter what!

I "used" to hit the 220* mark when towing, but not since I put in the "Griffin" and the "Hesco". Since building the stroker and re-doing the trans cooler it runs straight up at 210* not matter what!

Can you isolate which part made the most difference? I had a Champion 2-row aluminum and it still heat creeps espeically when over 110F.

It was all done at the same time, but the flow from the Hesco pump is great. I also took a die grinder to the t-stat housing....... But on the same note, my other totally stock 2K also runs straight up at 210*. Biggest issue is that "all" things need/are functioning properly(fan clutch, water pump, elec fan, and t-stat).

Ahh I see. I'm not super impressed with the factory coolant gauge in the cluster. I've used the OBII scanner to get the actual coolant temps. The factory gauge is fairly accurate until the 210 mark, after that the gauge will only go to the second tick mark after 210 until the PCM reads 254°F and then it goes immediately over to 260°F and the check gauges light comes on. (I had a crap copper radiator that did not perform very well in 115°F up the I-17 hill to Prescott) I mention this because I've seen another post in another thread of a guy who said his jeep would "periodically spike to 260°F" but I am guessing that if he has a 97+ XJ then the gauge isn't telling you much. Obviously a momentary spike of 40 degrees is impossible. The 4.0 isn't a sheet of tin foil!

Now that my rant is over, my only mounting location for the remote transmission cooler has been occupied by the ox locker actuator that I had installed on Thursday. It was above the rear axle. I was driving a 2010 Mercury Mariner the other day and I wondered why the AC was so damn cold at idle while stopped. I got out and I could hear a massive electric fan, but more importantly, I could incredible suction from the front of the grille. When comparing it to my XJ, the difference is very noticeable. Perhaps, as most people say, the XJ just needs a lot of airflow. The engineers obviously wanted to "dumb down" the temperature gauge. Most modern cars I've driven do the same, but the gauge does not move from the center until there is an overheating concern. But considering that any temperature below 254°F is not overheating, this discussion is irrelevant.

What gears are you running?

Have you done any data-logging to see what the other parameters are doing leading up to this?
Is the motor stock, any mods?
You said you replaced the clutch fan, but have you verified it's function?
You haven't spoke about the function of your electric fan?
Are all the fan shields intact?
Does your "check gauges light" come on?

Have you done any data-logging to see what the other parameters are doing leading up to this?
Is the motor stock, any mods?
You said you replaced the clutch fan, but have you verified it's function?
You haven't spoke about the function of your electric fan?
Are all the fan shields intact?
Does your "check gauges light" come on?

Stock motor. I have a 272310 NAPA brand new. Blows a ton right off idle. Wish it could blow that much AT idle. The electric fan turns on and blows fine. All the fan shrouds are in place and not cracked. The check gauges light does not come on. I guess it's just heat creep. The gauge will go to the second tick mark after 210, so about 240F. Maybe this temperature is normal when it's over 110 outside.

I was messing with a taurus fan and a car battery. While it does blow more than the mechanical fan does at IDLE, I don't know if I can justify the complexity and loss of airflow at higher engine speeds. I think the taurus fan could help when I leave the Jeep idling for hours on end with the A/C on, but other than that I think the fan clutch would work better.

Back