• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 XJ interior lamps on

WVjeepr

NAXJA Forum User
The interior lamps are staying on all the time in my 90 XJ, I tried the headlamp switch and the cargo lamp switch, Neither turn it off. I have fooled with the door jam switches even replaced the Drivers door switch. Any clues are appreciated.

Every interior dome light has an on/off button in front of it: Push the button.

yeah I did that. I've had the Jeep for 15 years so I know all the switches, This has to be something else nothing will turn them off. Thanks though for the reply

started checking it out today and found the 3 wire connector at the Drivers door ajar switch has the pins rotted out. Does anyone know of a source for these pigtails? I have searched online but nothing comes up. Thanks

This is from memory. But one wire is a ground. One is the feed from the interior lights. And one is the feed for the chime module. All circuits should show 12v and activate by being grounded.

Any idea where I can get a pigtail for that switch? The Right door has 2 wires but the Left has three so have to find a 3 wire one.

The connector to the switch is missing 1 pin and the other 2 are almost gone due to corrosion so I think that will fix it if I can find a connector for it

Did it have a timer? My donor was a 92 and had the switches as you describe. In 86 the door jambs are tapped much smaller and thus I didn't install the door switches right off. (Still haven't, actually) So my switches are unplugged and the lamp only comes on with the switch in the dash. I disabled the switch in the hatch because I frequently leave it open for hours.

As setup, it doesn't have the delay feature, but it did work fine in the donor. If your switches are unplugged and it's still on, I'd guess your problem isn't with the switch. High resistance to ground may have killed the timer module, I'd look there.

What ever it is, it is contagious. :eek:

My Daughter up near Denver was freaking out the other night, had to finally pull every bulb out, added it to the RoundToIt list. Nothing, except pulling the bulbs out would turn them off, they wear all on, tail gate and dash and overhead lights on.

yeah I did that. I've had the Jeep for 15 years so I know all the switches, This has to be something else nothing will turn them off. Thanks though for the reply

Last edited:
I need to order a stash of them too. Rock auto? Ebay? Amazon? Just need the oem part number.

started checking it out today and found the 3 wire connector at the Drivers door ajar switch has the pins rotted out. Does anyone know of a source for these pigtails? I have searched online but nothing comes up. Thanks

I need to order a stash of them too. Rock auto? Ebay? Amazon? Just need the oem part number.

Easier just to set up for Weatherpack assembly. Looks factory, similar dimensions, snaps together, and seals tight. The crimper is kind of expensive.

I hadn't thought about this previously, but the better trim packages have a switch in the latch for the rear hatch, and it can be finicky. You can unplug the ground wire to it with the trim removed, and if the lights go out, just leave it unplugged.

It's happened to me before.

Some of the inside light wiring goes under the drivers side carpet. Those wires aren't wrapped/insulated well. Twice now I've found wires and connectors under the carpet a green glob of corrosion. Which allows the inside lighting to find a ground path. The inside lighting is always hot and switches on the ground side.

Thanks for the reply!!!! So any ground wire short at any location on the lighting string could be doing it? You still got those wiring docs and images you can post? You were our expert on the wiring issues....

Some of the inside light wiring goes under the drivers side carpet. Those wires aren't wrapped/insulated well. Twice now I've found wires and connectors under the carpet a green glob of corrosion. Which allows the inside lighting to find a ground path. The inside lighting is always hot and switches on the ground side.

This is all I've got on interior lighting, Comanche (may help for the front half of an XJ) and a FSM schematic which can be hard to read.

88_Comanche_interior_lighting.png

88_Cherokee_Interior_Lighting.png

Thanks, just wish they were focused? Readable? I enlarged them but they way out of focus? Need a larger dpi setting? 600 x 600 dpi scan setting? Of fine for a fax scan setting instead of normal?

Sent you an E-mail. Seems like every copy gets a little worse.

Back