• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bigger alternator in an XJ issue.

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, so I upgraded all of my factory wiring so,that I could do the alternator upgrade. I got my new alternator in earlier today and after some headache, I got the new one to fit back in the place where the old one was removed. My issue is the new case is larger and the alternator hits the bracket attached at the motor, does anyone know where I need to grind in order to make this fit?

I installed a zj 136 in my 94. I took the bracket off and ground it on the bench, as check and ground as needed. You have to grind both prices, the cast aluminum and stamped steel. You also have to grind the block down to the same height as the cast aluminum peice. Should take about an hour if you pull it out to do so. You are grinding the bottom of the u deeper, and a little on the sides.

had a 120 amp off a dodge truck that had a slightly larger case. aside from the mounting differences, I couldn't get the bigger alt to fit between the frame rail and the block. swapped out back to the stock 90 amp and got it back in.

Last edited:
I installed a 160A alternator from a 5.9 Durango.

Some grinding was required (to mainly just the metal bracket).

Took me about 30 minutes of fitting, refitting a few times, and final installation.

Min has an extra pulley rib, but I just run it on the closest set.

I ended up getting it done by taking the bracket off and grinding mainly the bracket but also the block just a little. It installed nicely after that and there is a noticeable improvement in power. I’m going to be going to the JY and pulling numerous ones and pre grinding them and then powder coat and sell them I believe.

Back