• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody found a good alternator upgrade for Renix?

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
My alternator is getting a little long in tooth and was thinking of upgrading when switching. Remember this is a Renix and has the built in regulator so swaps for the later models are not as simple.

I was just hoping somebody found a better replacement.

Can you use a higher output Delco CS-130 alt? These are 105A GM alternators from 1986 to 1996 for their cars and pickups?

I had my local alternator shop rebuild my alternator with the guts from a cs144. They had an old boxed kit that they had in stock, I don’t know if that’s something that’s still available commercially or not. It puts out over 140 amps, and works as good as new. If I was in the alternator market again, I’d call around and try to find someone to do it the same way. It was not much more money than a regular alternator rebuild, and certainly worth a few phone calls.

My Limited has a 100 Amp alternator for all the whistles and bells that came with that trim level. It's a cheap bolt in.

Flores told me about using a CS-130 (140 Amp) alternator out of a Chevy truck. I brought one home from the junkyard. The lower mounting tab is thicker, you can't bolt that to the stock mounting bracket. Making a lower bracket for the bigger case actually appears simple and straightforward. It's on my "someday" list of projects.

I had my local alternator shop rebuild my alternator with the guts from a cs144. They had an old boxed kit that they had in stock, I don’t know if that’s something that’s still available commercially or not. It puts out over 140 amps, and works as good as new. If I was in the alternator market again, I’d call around and try to find someone to do it the same way. It was not much more money than a regular alternator rebuild, and certainly worth a few phone calls.

Tom, I know of one rewind shop in Wheatridge.

Thanks for the connection. Being away from Colorado, all I can do is plan and get ready for the short durations when I am home.

Right now I am in DC working for Northrup Grumman and a new satellite the STPSat-6. I just finished up on a surveillance satellite for Harris in Rochester NY.

Hope to be done and back home for Christmas.

Sure miss all you misfits and nut cases.

I'm running the 20352 100 amp as well. Picked a couple new old stock up on rock auto a few years ago.

Back