• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 xj 242 to 231 driveshaft question.

97jeepxj1

NAXJA Forum User
So I am fixing issues caused by the previous owner. One of the things they did was swap in a donor trans with a 231 case in place of the 242 after they blew it up. After some of the dumb things I've found on this jeep that they did I'm curious if they used the original driveshaft. Any of you have the measurements for the driveshaft for the two options of this year? Also what reference points are you supposed to use when measuring? I've put a 2" lift with rear blocks on it (swapping the blocks for a long add a leaf tomorrow) and after checking my driveshaft, trying to pin point a clunk I have after taking off from a stop, I'm worried it may be a bit short for proper spline engagement.

Not much help on length, but one of the biggest forgotten causes of clunks in the drivetrain is that the grease in the slip yoke at the transfer needs to be refreshed. Obviously other loose or worn parts could cause clunks too.

Driveshafts are the same for the transfer cases. For rear driveshaft, the differences are 87-95 and 96-01, 2WD vs 4WD, manual vs automatic transmission, and D35 vs D44/8.25 axle. For front driveshaft the only difference is manual vs automatic transmission

edit: there are other vehicle driveshafts too--MJ, ZJ, WJ, that have more options

Last edited:
Yeah the grease in the yoke is actually why I dropped the driveshaft. Cleaned it up and put on a heavy coat of lucas red and tacky because it's what I had on hand.

Ehall thanks for the info on the driveshaft lengths. After I put it back I decided it was probably right. I mocked it up without the rubber boot so I could get a better look at it

So I am fixing issues caused by the previous owner. One of the things they did was swap in a donor trans with a 231 case in place of the 242 after they blew it up. After some of the dumb things I've found on this jeep that they did I'm curious if they used the original driveshaft. Any of you have the measurements for the driveshaft for the two options of this year? Also what reference points are you supposed to use when measuring? I've put a 2" lift with rear blocks on it (swapping the blocks for a long add a leaf tomorrow) and after checking my driveshaft, trying to pin point a clunk I have after taking off from a stop, I'm worried it may be a bit short for proper spline engagement.

I thought the 242 was about 1/2" longer. At least when I measured the one I have in the garage awaiting a rebuild compared to the one in my MJ. There were some differences in the tailcone lengths over the years too. The 4wd AW4 is about 1" longer than the AX-15.

Back