• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build Sheet

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my build sheet for my 96 Country from DC. At the end of the list of factory installed equipment there was a note from DC. It says;

"Our records indicate that the following recall campaign has not been performed by an authorized DC dealer.

E22 Reprogram PCM and inspect catalytic converter

Since we can't always confirm that the needed service has been performed, we ask that you contact your local authorized Jeep dealer to make arrangements for an inspection and, if necessary, corrective action at no charge to you."

That's the gist of it. Should I do it? What is the PCM? What might be wrong with the cat converter? Thanks, just trying to get info before I take it over.

The PCM is the Powertrain Control Module. The name is pretty self explanitory. When they reprogram it, they hook up a diagnostic tool which loads fresh data into your PCM.

As far as the catalytic converter, complaints of loose bolts or other things do come up, and recalls like this are made when there is a widespread problem. I'm not sure what all is involved, but since it says "inspect", that means if something is wrong according to their specs, further action is required. Hey, maybe you'll get a new free cat! But don't get too excited.

It is up to you if you want to take it. It won't cost you anything but time. And, it supports the mechanics at the dealership by giving them stuff to do!

sandman said:
The PCM is the Powertrain Control Module. The name is pretty self explanitory. When they reprogram it, they hook up a diagnostic tool which loads fresh data into your PCM.

As far as the catalytic converter, complaints of loose bolts or other things do come up, and recalls like this are made when there is a widespread problem. I'm not sure what all is involved, but since it says "inspect", that means if something is wrong according to their specs, further action is required. Hey, maybe you'll get a new free cat! But don't get too excited.

It is up to you if you want to take it. It won't cost you anything but time. And, it supports the mechanics at the dealership by giving them stuff to do!

So when they reprogram the PCM what is the effect of the service? Why would that need to be done? The tranny is working fine currently. I hate dealerships and avoid then at any and all costs.

They may reprogram them because of computer bugs, overly sensitive settings, to change variables that would allow the vehicle to have fewer emissions, and other reasons. It isn't a bad idea to take it, but a lot of people feel if it ain't broke, . . .

But of course no one is making you. If you don't feel that your vehicle needs to have work done, its your choice. I don't think that by not taking it you would noticeably reduce the life of your XJ. Although it could fix some bugs that you've had. But if they are willing to pay to fix a mistake, then it must be important to somebody.

Last edited:
sandman said:
They may reprogram them because of computer bugs, overly sensitive settings, to change variables that would allow the vehicle to have fewer emissions, and other reasons. It isn't a bad idea to take it, but a lot of people feel if it ain't broke, . . .

But of course no one is making you. If you don't feel that your vehicle needs to have work done, its your choice. I don't think that by not taking it you would noticeably reduce the life of your XJ. Although it could fix some bugs that you've had. But if they are willing to pay to fix a mistake, then it must be important to somebody.

It's running ok now, haven't had any issues other than a possible TPS that may be starting to go but that's something I can replace myself. I'm just a little wary of taking it to a dealership. I'm sure you've heard horror stories. I know I have.

Horror stories come with anything.

Contact your local dealership, give them the last 8 VIN digits.

They'll be happy to take the vehicle in and perform the recalls.

My local dealership performed two 7 and 8 year old recalls on my XJ without any complaints.

Yeah, I've heard stories and I've interned at one for about a year now. People are fed up with high prices and techs that can't fix anything. And techs hate working at dealerships because everyone comes in for free stuff! Ha ha ha.

Just go with your gut feeling. Talk it over with the Jeep, and see what it wants, cuz thats whats important, you know. If I were you, I wouldn't bother. The reprograms can sometimes make things worse. It's rare, but we've had funny stuff happen after reprogramming Nissans. Haven't done anything Chrysler, so I really can't give you any insight there.

How about this, if you notice any bugs that you can't fix or your cat is failing, take it. The recalls may just take care of it. I'm just not sure if you would get a new cat or not. If I remember I'll ask one of the guys tomorrow. Hope this has helped.

sandman said:
Yeah, I've heard stories and I've interned at one for about a year now. People are fed up with high prices and techs that can't fix anything. And techs hate working at dealerships because everyone comes in for free stuff! Ha ha ha.

Just go with your gut feeling. Talk it over with the Jeep, and see what it wants, cuz thats whats important, you know. If I were you, I wouldn't bother. The reprograms can sometimes make things worse. It's rare, but we've had funny stuff happen after reprogramming Nissans. Haven't done anything Chrysler, so I really can't give you any insight there.

How about this, if you notice any bugs that you can't fix or your cat is failing, take it. The recalls may just take care of it. I'm just not sure if you would get a new cat or not. If I remember I'll ask one of the guys tomorrow. Hope this has helped.
What would fail on the cat? It looks ok but there may be internal issues that I would be unaware of. The XJ does have 125k on the clock, not too high for a 96.

Back