• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build sheet questions

CW

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I got the build sheet on my '89 xj and have a few questions.
Emissions - High Altitude - Does this mean I already have a high altitude CPS ?
Heavy Duty Electrical Group - Whats this?
Visibility Group - Whats this?
Thats pretty much it, I verified that it had UPCountry and full skids to start with, but the t-case skid was lost along the way. It is interesting to see what it started out like.

My 87 brochure lists the visibility group as: Left and Right remote control mirrors, intermittant wipers, and rear window defroster. It doesn't show a heavy duty electrical group, but it's probably a 100 amp alternator. As far as the high altitude group I would think that you are on the right track, but that would list the CPS that was installed at the factory. Chances are it's been replaced some time in the last 14-15 years, and there's no telling what replacement was used. Remember the automakers are famous for changing these groups from year to year so what's true for an 87 may be different on an 89.

If that does mean it came with a high altitude CPS, how do I identify the one that is currently on there? I have the engine out and would like to change it if its not a high altitude.

First let me state that I don't live at altitude and I will stand corrected if my description is inaccurate.

Having said that, the way I understand it, the sending unit on the standard CPS is centered between the mounting holes and offset on the high altitude version to provide additional advance required with less 02. You should be able to visually determine which you have. What you can't readily determine is how old your existing unit is, and when it might fail. So I'd consider replacing it while you have the engine out and saving the current one as a back up.

Thanks for the tip on build sheet availability CW., I requested one too.

I wasn't aware that there was a high altitude cps. Does anyone have an idea of which years it's applicable to? I live on the west side of Pike's Peak at 9800' elevation, and would be willing to bet that the vehicle was originally set up with a "standard" cps, as it was originally sold in Carson City, Nevada (haven't looked to see if the mounting is offset yet). It's a '95 Sport and runs great, but maybe it could be better.

Incidentally, is there anything else that's "high altitude rated" for the 4.0L?

Cheers

woodrock03 said:
I wasn't aware that there was a high altitude cps. Does anyone have an idea of which years it's applicable to?

The high altitude CPS was used on the Renix XJs: 1986 thru 1990 for the 4-cyl and 1987 thru 1990 for the 4.0L. For the later years, the ECU is supposed to have enough data inputs to automatically compensate for altitude.

Thanks Eagle. One less thing to mess with.

:D

Just requested all the build sheets for my Jeeps. Thanks for the link! Hope Jeep is in a good mood when they get my request...

Well, got my response from DC about my build sheets... 2 out of 3 were available. They said they didn't have any info about my XJ but my YJ and ZJ were emailed to me within a couple of hours. Is my XJ too old or something? Has anyone else got a build sheet for an 88 or earlier recently?

I was able to get a build sheet for an '88 MJ from my dealer a couple of years ago, but many of the codes were listed with no explanation of what they represent. The dealer said when Chrysler took over from AMC, they didn't make much of an effort to upload AMC's computer records into their system. I was unable to get anything at all on an '86 XJ.

Try lifting the interior trim panel on the driver's door. I found a copy of the build sheet for the MJ in there when I replaced the speaker.

"Dear [x]:

Thank you for your email regarding your 1988 vehicle.

Due to the age of the vehicle, the build sheet is no longer available."
Oh well, had to try... :D

Back