• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sanden A/C compressor displacement

Capt. Nemo

NAXJA Member #904
Is there a specific displacement (in c.i.) Sanden a/c compressor that was used in XJ's? I've done quite a bit of research on how to i.d. the different displacements, but the i.d. tag on my stock compressor is so worn that I can not make out what it says. It's an '88.

I'm looking to convert over to an OBA system rather than using my a/c. Rather than using the York that I just bought and having to do some fabbing and modifiying, I thought that if the ci displacement was close to the York, I would just use my stock a/c compressor.

I just did a quick search of sanden comp. and it looks like for the most part they are 5, 7, or 8 ci. displacement. I don't know how that compares to the york. But I do know the axial piston compressores work well. You need to use something to feed oil, as they ciculate the oil through the system, not keeping it in a crankcase, like a York. A coworker who had an Airock susp. on his TJ used a factory compressor and a oil seperator to return the oil back to the intake of the comp. It worked very well, and he was able to also run air tools well.

The York I picked up was out of an '84 Volvo with a 10 ci displacement. I saw that some of the Sanden compressors have 9 ci's, so I just wanted to know what the majority of XJ a/c compressors were to determine what I was most likely to have since my id tag is fadded.

I'm aware of the external oiling and other things involved. Even so, it seems like alot less work and about the same performance running the stock compressor as opposed to retro-fitting the York.

http://www.onboardair.com/sanden_id.htm

5-90 said:
If it's any help, all four of mine are SD505's (87, 88, and two 89's.) The 505 is probably the most common compressor going for us XJ-ers.

5-90

Thanks for taking a look. I think I made out that I have an SD508, but it is anybody's guess... I guess I'll tootle around the PnP and see if I can locate a stock one with a higher ci. My compressor pumps quite well, so I'm not sure wether or not to just keep it. I took all the lines off and manually engaged the clutch with the engine running and it pumped pretty hard. It just might work out with a tank.

Back