• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help ASAP Paint Codes ?

robertj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, we need to go buy paint so I can get my fenders painted, but we don't know how to tell which numbers are the paint code, on that little serial plate.

This is what the serial plate says:

4D884350
ZZZZ END
JPA LBD MWA NAM
ARN CUF CUN ERH HAA HGD
113 TJ143802 XJTL74
APA PE4 QE4 Q75A ERH
SB U 1J4FTS853NL

Can yall please explain how to find the paint codes?
Its a '92 Cherokee Laredo.

the paint code is PE4. Does Shale Green sound about right ?. Usually the first digit will change when getting touch up paint. I see it's a 4dr.

Last edited:
PE4 would be the body color, QE4 would be any exterior trim

Ahhh I see, but thats not right. I mean the Shale Green isnt. Its a crimson color, w/ a silver exterior trim.

And ya, its 4dr, howd you tell?

Ok, the PE4 is Colorado Red :D, which is correct. But the Sherwin-Williams Database, doesnt have a QE4 listed. But I searched for Jeeps in '92 w/ "silver", and found 3 different colors.

Silver Met BaseCoat and Single
Silver Star Met BaseCoat and Single, this had a PAC written next to the manufactures code.
DK Silver Met BaseCoat and Single
and then DK Silver Met BaseCoat and Single again, only this time it had a PS7.

The others did have anything else next to the manufactures code.

Thanx for the quick help.

WARNING--I believe the paint codes in the 1992 FSM are INCORRECT.

My 1992 (built December 1991) body tag shows a color that is NOT in agreement with what is listed in the FSM.

When I went to the paint shop to get my color, I discovered the colors listed in the 1992 FSM seem to correlate to those used in 1991.

FWIW........

Well that is what the plate says, and I went to look it up at Sherwin Williams Website, they matched except the silver.

please help asap.

robertj said:
Ahhh I see, but thats not right. I mean the Shale Green isnt. Its a crimson color, w/ a silver exterior trim.

And ya, its 4dr, howd you tell?

That's what I thought. The color description didn't come up but the paint code was PE4. This part indicates the body type "XJTL74" and the 74 is a 4dr. All the numbers mean something. Here are the ones I can tell you about.

ARN as in ARNP Laredo Group
APA as in APAS Monotone Paint (body only)
CUF as is CUFP Console - Full Length Floor
CUN Console - Overhead
ERH Engine - 4.0L I-6
HAA as in HAAP Air Conditioning
HGD as in HGDP Insulation Group - Deluxe

I will see if I can find what you are looking for.

So its still a PE4 Silver? My stepdad works at a printing press, so he knows all about the colors.

Woah, I actually have a nice jeep, too bad its 2wd though.

err not PE4, thats the red,

The silver would still be QE4 right? Will the paint shop still be able to mix it, w/ just that info?

I am sure the code you are looking for is KS7 or PS7 (Dark Silver) same for most if not all Laredo models trim. I had to go through the parts catalog looking at bumper ends to find it.

Silver sounds right, and the PS7 sounds familiar when I did my search for silver and '92 jeep, it gave the PS7 color as one of them.

Is there any difference in PS7 and KS7??

Oh I found a pic of my jeep, this is just the fender that got knocked off so its lieing in the grass, but you can see at the bottom of the picture, what color it was.

Roberts%20Old%20Parts.JPG

It's the same KS7 and PS7. The paint codes usually change the first letter/number. That is the code you need.

Back