• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar limitting droop

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
I have 3" Procomp coils and shocks, Tera adj. uca and lca, stock steering, and Rusty's adj. track bar...

While installing 1.75" spacers, my front end was at full droop, and the pass side wouldn't droop near as far as the driver side, which was stopped by the shock. I couldn't push it down, and couldn't find the hang up.
Then I removed the track bar (axel side) and viola, the whole axel slid over toward the driver side. It seems like something is binding. Why wouldn't the track bar just guide it over that way as it dropped? The axel end of the track bar wasn't hitting the axel mount (the bracket just above the joint.) My drag link and track bar are at about the same angles..

Is this normal?

My RE heim trackbar binds on the stock trackbar bracket on the axle (not that the heim is going much further). If you eliminate that 'binding' and you still have stock type steering, you'll bind on the draglink rod ends........

Yeah, it's Rusty's older version, with a tie rod end on the frame side, but it wasn't maxed out. It seems like my track bar should be extended, but the axel is already right of center, so it should be shortened.

When I took out the track bar, the axel shifted down and left, maxing out the shock and stock brake line. This left the lower joint of the track bar right of the mount about three inches, horizontal with it.

I dunno...

Make sure to check really closely at the stock trackbar/axle mount. If you haven't modified the mounting location, I think the trackbar might be hitting the mount on full droop. I couldn't see this on my own XJ when I was running 3" lift either. I took some teflon paste (pipe dope) and spread some on the top of my trackbar, flexed it out, checked again and sure enough, the paste had transfered to the mount. Give it a try.

Rocky, I had it jacked up w/tires off, and closely looked at this lower mount, and there was no contact, 1/3 to 1/4" at least.

BTW, it was a nightmare lining up all the bolt holes for the ucas. We had a come-along and large jack out, and kicked her here and there to do so.
Is there an easy way to do this?

mbryson said:
My RE heim trackbar binds on the stock trackbar bracket on the axle (not that the heim is going much further). If you eliminate that 'binding' and you still have stock type steering, you'll bind on the draglink rod ends........
My also binds at the axle mount...

1255P1010259.JPG

1255p1010260-med.JPG

Looks like I may have to grind a bit off the mount.

All kind of interesting things happen with the XJs. My track bar binds when the passenger's side wheel is all the way up, it can drop as much as the shock allows though!

At this position:

Dsc01874.jpg

Here is what the track bar looks like:
Dsc01875.jpg

Rgds

Yeah, I see how that's hitting. I don't see any harm in grinding away some clearance right there. I think that's what I'll do.

I think I'll do the same at the LCAs, axel side. They're what will limit my travel once I have longer shocks on. I have Tera arms, adj, and they're straight, though the lower bushing 'hoop' is offset.

I also need to get a different track bar joint/mount on the frame side. Rusty's probably.

When alligning the bolts in the UCA, I started with the rear bolt and slipped it through. Then I arranged a small hydraulic bottle jack under the front diff, on the track bar mount, to twist the axle into place and alow the bolt to just slide in. It worked good for me.

Back