• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking of a whole front sub-frame swap '96xj

rockosocko

NAXJA Forum User
Good morning guys n gals. Hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving.

I've been gone for a long while, but still plugging away at my lowered '96 2dr.
It was a 4cyl/5spd, 2wd that I'm building into a 5.2 magnum/NV3500/Dana 44.

Background:

This is a slow build, and on a tight budget.
I found a local who had a '87 MJ that I scored the axle from and it turns out to be a 3.54/trac-lock/31spline that I blasted and cut off the cast perches to move inboard about 3/4" on either side.
Also, scored some HD spring sets from 4wheel parts here in Memphis.
These will be used as a spring 'under' to prevent axle wrap in the future.
Just for now, pulled the last leaf jut to see if when I get it back on the ground, that it sits/rides a lil softer.
And while under there, dropped the tank and sprayed bed liner under wherever I could, sealing up little cracks. (while just looking up there, It would be perfect for a
4-link later on.

So, with that, I was back up front looking at my options with this 5.2 Magnum that I hope to use. I had to 'thin' the body's frame rails about 1 1/4" to help clear the block hugger style headers, and move motor to pass side to clear steering shaft.

And started thinking.. What if I just pulled the fenders and chopped off the rest of the front end even with the fire wall..?
Early Nova and F-body GM's are kinda scarce to score a whole subframe. So I'm leaning toward 'maybe' a front cut of the S-10 frame, and graft that to xj's firewall..

It's pouring rain here, so I'm not getting to the pull-it's today. (plus, got the in-laws r out from Cali)
Does anyone have any S-10's that they can measure the frame width from where the firewall on the S-10 would be, to around mid-door? (if not, I'll be out there measuring tomorrow)
My Xj at the steering box is about 27 3/4" wide. And back under the rear seat area, it's 31"

this is just in planning stage for now, thinking that it would be easier to graft that in, than getting this all back together with pretty much stock jeep suspension, all to have DEATH WOBBLE strike again! last 2x it happened was ENOUGH.. And that was with all new front end parts!

I don't know everything about the later Mopar stuff. But, if this doesn't give me what I would like, I have a 3200mi 440/TF from a camper that looks like it would fit pretty easy.. (front sump though) Would move the distributor up front for clearance, and the truck 'rams horn' manifolds would be an easy fit.
..it's just too expensive right now to find a 5spd that would work with the 440.
(or stroked 451!!)

I'm NOT a millenial. so I'm learning how to use my phone for pics ('cause that's what EVERYONE WANTS anyhow..)
So, don't start pissin and moaning for pictures. They'll get here.

So, If anyone has experience with the S-10 frames/mods please post up.
Because if this works well, This thing will sh**t and git as they say down here..

E

You need a "hosting" site to post pics and only members can attach/edit.

As far as your project, it might be doable but you probably would be the first to do so your outcome would be unknown.

Your name is not in red?

Back