• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fluttering/Rattling Noise at idle

bnewman17

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I have a 1998 Cherokee Limited with 87k miles. I purchased it about a 6 weeks ago and am the third owner. It has made a fluttering/tapping noise in the cabin since I’ve driven it (see video of sound below but please ignore the chirping, pretty sure the distributor needs to be replaced). This sound is much more pronounced in drive while idling and loudest near the console/passenger side footwell. As soon as I leave a stop the sound disappears. It is sometimes loud enough to drown out the radio, but it’s very difficult to hear the sound from outside the cabin, even with a stethoscope.

I’ve taken it to a couple mechanics and one diagnosed it as an exhaust leak (they said they couldn’t actually find the leak) and the other suspected something was loose behind the dash while ruling out an exhaust leak.

I have checked to make sure that nothing is coming in contact with the cross member and transmission mount seems to be pretty solid. I also checked to make sure the transfer case linkage was not coming in contact with the body.

https://youtu.be/WJfFkH5jXYY

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Back