• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Track Bar bolt replacement

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my track bar, there is a lot of slop in the bracket on the passenger side (99 xj).

I saw online people talking about a 15mm bolt, but mine clearly has a torx head. I found only a few people talking about the torx head saying it was a 50 or 55. Anyway, so I'm sure this is going to break so I want to plan on replacing it with a regular hex head bolt. By the way even if it doesn't break, I've read people saying it's a "torque once" bolt that will snap if you torque it to spec again..(gee, that's a nice design :()

I have access to a Lowes and a tractor supply. I have bought many grade 8 bolts from tractor supply. If possible, I'd like to get hardware local so I can do this tomorrow rather than order online and have to wait.

My question is, can I find a bolt at lowes or tractor supply that will work with the flag bolt piece? If not, can I buy a bolt and some washers and lock washer from tractor supply and take that approach? I read something about the factory flag nut piece being metric and needing to buy a 10.9 metric bolt since that's the grade 8 equivalent in metric. I know lowes carries some 10.9 bolts but have my doubts they'd have exactly what I need for this. I don't want to drill anything out or mod anything if possible (I already bought the replacement track bar, it's just a standard replacement from oreilly auto nothing fancy). Please post any info and be as specific as possible about bolt sizes and washer/lock washer setup that may work. Thanks for any help with this!

if bolt has been loose, the hole in which bolt passes can become oval, no longer a tight fit around bolt, thus even with a new same diameter bolt, with the ovaled hole, she will still shift around even if tight. to fix this you need a new bigger hole drilled so ovalness is removed, then fit a bigger diameter bolt into the new drilled hole, bolt must be tight fit in the hole. of course you will need a new flag bolt to fit the bigger bolt.
you also need a bigger hole in the bushing to fit the bigger bolt.

Thanks for the link and the other post! I did find several places online to order before. I was looking for an option I could get local to get it done today, but I guess I'll just call the local dealer tomorrow to see if they have any in stock. There is also a machine shop supplier that carries a large selection of stuff like this I might try.

The looseness appears to be in the bushing itself, not the mount. The torx bolt is still tightly attached, it's just the end of the bar that is able to be moved by hand.

I posted that link because all the info you need is there: size, pitch, length and grade...

Thanks! Here is an update... I checked it all out again in daylight and the movement I'm getting is front to back on the axle end. Is that normal? I didn't think there was supposed to be any play in it at all. I originally thought it was moving side to side but its as sif there was and extra washer in there or the bolt was torqued down it may tighten up. Also see that there is no "flag" nut on this...looks like just a nut in there. As far as I know it's all stock so I'm confused. The grease boot is still good on the upper end so maybe the movement on the axle end isn't even a problem?

grease boot? are you talking about draglink or tierod showing movement now? Trackbar should not have grease boot. Is that movement along the axle, i.e. right to leftside movement relative to the jeep looking head on from drivers position?

Entire axle should shift left and right as suspension is expanded and compressed.

Axle should also shift forward and rearward with suspension travel, Control arms restrain this movement, trackbar restrains left and right movevent of axle, and draglink makes the steering work. Each part doing working in a symphony of mechanical movement. Jeeps are so cool, none of that independent suspension sillyness! All my prior rides had independent suspension. little european cars.

grease "boot" or "donut"...maybe i'm calling it the wrong name... anyway the zerk is on the bottom i'm talking about the track bar where it goes into the mounting bracket. No movement there... the only movement is the _lower_ left track bar mount and it moves front to back maybe a sixteenth of an inch or so... it clangs like the metal sleeve in the bushing is hitting the mount... this movement is parallel to the length of the jeep if you are looking from the front back...so front to back if you grab the lower end of the track bar. beginning to think i'm overthinking it and jjust ned to get a grade 8 bolt and nut/lock washer combo and torque to spec. I'm just not sure what diameter bolt to get and tractor supply only has grade 8 in standard.

Back