• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front and rear fender trim

Peregrine

NAXJA Forum User
I have read all the writeups...but still don't understand why everyone cuts and folds. Why not just cut? Is there a structural difference? I just took off the front flares to get ready for my new front bumper...I think I like the looks without the flares and gives me a little more room to flex, of course.

Structural difference? Yes and no. On the front fenders, you don't gain much structural rigidity over just cutting the clearance you need.

The rear however is a fairly significant part of the unibody structure. Generally, you can cut away the fender lip metal up to the spot welds all around the lip. This is where the body/quarter panel is attached to the inner fender well. If you cut up higher and remove the spot welds, you'll have a weak point where the body panel can flex away from the inner structures and buckle or warp. It also leaves a big gap where dirt/water can get into the inside of the panels/unibody structure.

If you need more room beyond the spot welds, most guys cut sections of it, leaving the spot welds intact and folding that metal up out of the way....... but you've likely seen those write-ups for cutting the rear.

That being said, I am going to do a straight cut with a dremel right along the top of the fender bolt holes on the front fender, and right below the spot welds on the back. Then cover that area with that proteckto trim crap. I don't need much more room...I just don't like the visible holes in the fenders from the flares.

I just didn't under stand the folding method. I figure doing all those "slits" then bending it would look like crap compared to a straight cut. Haven't seen any close ups of either, so just curious. Thanks!

Yeah, all those slits and folds do end up looking kinda crappy. The previous owner of my '97 didn't do a real stellar job of doing this - they're mostly covered by the Bushwhackers, but if I ever get the wild hair to lose the BW's........ I'm gonna have some body work to do to make it look right.

If I do it, I'll do the repair like the TNT guy did on his - use some 3/8" round bar and make a lip to weld to and remove all the cut up parts.

I'll do the repair like the TNT guy did on his - use some 3/8" round bar and make a lip to weld to and remove all the cut up parts.

I plan on attempting it on the MJ Trailer, where the rust makes the pinch seam worthless anyways... if successful, the XJ will get a similar treatment...:shhh:

Yeah, all those slits and folds do end up looking kinda crappy. The previous owner of my '97 didn't do a real stellar job of doing this - they're mostly covered by the Bushwhackers, but if I ever get the wild hair to lose the BW's........ I'm gonna have some body work to do to make it look right.

If I do it, I'll do the repair like the TNT guy did on his - use some 3/8" round bar and make a lip to weld to and remove all the cut up parts.

If you do, post up some "in procces pics", that would be good to see.
Hijack - Sorry.

Back