• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep pulls right - Alignment dead on

Glacialbass

NAXJA Forum User
The Jeep has been pulling to the right as of late. Given that I aligned it in my driveway I decided to take it in. According to the shop it's dead on. In addition, when I brake hard the Jeep pulls left. I'm assuming the brake issue is just due to one caliper grabbing harder than the other, though the issues could be related.

Could anyone give me a direction to go so that I can chase this down?

98 Cherokee Sport - 5spd - 3.5" lift - Teraflex adjustable trac-bar - 31s - 3.55s - front HP30 - rear 29sp 8.25 - SYE - etc.

Thanks,

Justin

Could be a caliper not letting go. If it's been doing it for a while, the pads on the side pulling should be thinner than the other side.

You can remove the caliper, use a c-clamp or large lock-jaw pliers to press the piston all the way in, re-assemble, then pump up the brakes until you get firm pedal again, then drive it and see if it's gone or improved. Rebuilt calipers would cure the problem.

Tire pressure needs to be the same in both tires as well, so check that while you're at it.

Lastly, it could be a tire with chords separating.... usually that's coupled with a bad bounce/balance issue, but it can cause it to track differently and pull. Not real likely but another thing to check out.

I know it's stupid to say. But gotta throw it out there. Some allignment shops set allignment to compensate for road crown. And if not, and the allinment is dead on in spec. the crown can cause your vehicle to follow the road. Considering we live in Colorado, most if not all roads have at least a slight crown/slope. Just keep that in mind

Also Check control arms bushings. A control arm might be tight enough that you don't get DW. But loose enough that upon breaking the axle slides back just the slightest bit causing a pull.

did they just check the front? is the back axle out? not common but it does happen

it might sound lame, but do what Yella mentioned, check the tire pressure. Mine will pull one way or the other even if the pressure is 3lbs. lighter on one side than the other.

Could be a caliper not letting go. If it's been doing it for a while, the pads on the side pulling should be thinner than the other side.

You can remove the caliper, use a c-clamp or large lock-jaw pliers to press the piston all the way in, re-assemble, then pump up the brakes until you get firm pedal again, then drive it and see if it's gone or improved. Rebuilt calipers would cure the problem.

Tire pressure needs to be the same in both tires as well, so check that while you're at it.

Lastly, it could be a tire with chords separating.... usually that's coupled with a bad bounce/balance issue, but it can cause it to track differently and pull. Not real likely but another thing to check out.

I checked the tire pressure. 27 lbs all the way around.

I'll take a look at the brakes this weekend. C-clamp? Lock jaw pliers? No deal, I actually have brake tools! :sunshine:
I also noticed when checking the tire pressure that all four tires show a small amount of cupping on the inside edge. Sometimes I hate Jeeps.

The cupping could simply have been from the alignment having been off spec and is now corrected, but if it's inside, it also might be an indication of the ball joints in the knuckles getting loose.

Back