• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke Yoke

mike01166

NAXJA Forum User
I let my friend drive my jeep and he did a burnout and it broke the ujoint and the tab on the yoke that jeeps the ujoint seated in. My neighbor welded it up and fixed and so we didnt need to buy a new yoke but we knew it was a temporary solution that wouldnt last long.

It was real weak and going to break eventually and it broke again today.

yoke1xc.jpg

I need a new unjoint, Yoke Strap and Bolt Kit, and a new yoke.
The first 2 things are inexpensive and easy to buy.

But i searched napaonline.com and couldnt find a new yoke. Please dont tell me i need to buy a whole new axle. Where can i find a new yoke and how much will it cost?

thats exactly what happened to me twice. what i did was got a yoke from my stepdad who happened to have 2 dana 44's in his backyard from and old cj-5.
go to pick-n-pull grap one off a dana 35 or chryco 8 1/4" from a cherokee. and if its a dana 44 then pull the axle.
drill the holes out of the bolt holes in the yoke to 5/16" so you can fit a u-bolt in there because you dont want the crappy straps.
get a new, stronger ujoint from kragen(the one that has a warranty) or auto zone or wherever.
even if there arent any tabs that hold the ujoint centered you can get those ubolts, drill out the yoke bolt holes and just torque down the nuts of the ubolt that is retaining the ujoint.
thats how mine is right now and i drove home with it like that from hollister hills which is about 2 hours away.
i was wheelin and the straps that retain the ujoint ripped in half and sheered 4 grade 8 1/4" bolts. i would highly recommend using ubolts to retain your ujoint to the yoke

I removed the drive shaft and drove it home from where it broke using 4wd, but i suppose i shouldnt drive it anymore with only the front wheels until i get it fixed?

What axle is it? Now would be a good time to upgrade to a U-bolt Yoke & get away from the weaker straps. Most drive line shops should be able to help you once you know which axle it is. Oh yeah, keep your dumb ass friends out from behind the wheel. Let them thrash their own stuff.

Rob $.02

he said im just gonna do a small burnout, and i told him no no no, and he did it anyway

we fixed it up but we knew it was weak and i took off from a stop sign and it just broke today. i got underneath, took the driveshaft off, and put it in 4wd and drove home.

i didnt get any paperwork or owners manual with it

but its a
93' XJ Sport

how can i tell what axle it is

Last edited:
If you've got ABS, it's probably a Dana 35C. If not, a Chrysler 8.25.

You can get the yoke on it's own, any decent driveline shop should have it. You're gonna want to be careful replacing it and make sure you get the right preload on the pinion shaft (don't ask me how I know this.)

oh by the way, is it lifted/modified because you might have axle wrap because that what i think i have and it sucks cause ive broken 3 ujoints and strap kits and 2 yokes. if you have the np242 t-case i dont thing it will be to bad driving home in 4wd but the np231 idk but from what ive heard its not good to drive with it in 4wd. ive driven mine in 4wd with just the front shaft goin about 60-70mph and my t-case is still under my jeep. :D
BTW 242-u have part time and full time 4wd, in full you can drive on all roads any conditions
231-only 4lo and 4hi and only for slippery roads and stuff

i have the 231 tcase

its completly stock

the yoke got messed up from the intial burnout, and weak from stress from driving.

how much would a new yoke go for at a junkyard, and how much for new?

i went to the 4x4 parts place and the guy said it could either be a crystler 8"1/4 axle or dana.

how do i tell what axle i have so i can get the right yoke.

Sense you drove it with no rear drive shaft installed you better check the t-case fluid. It takes tranny fluid. If it didn't puke it out it problly low. The 8 1/4 has a flat bottom and is bigger than a dana 35. Seach and you will find pictures.

jeepdiffs2wn.jpg

That helps ease the pain a little - but I'd think it still calls for the vigorous application of dimension lumber - he didn't listen to you in the first place.

Granted, I'm 6'3" and 250#, so I could get away with a little more (Like Gil says, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog," but perception also counts.)

If you're going to do the job yourself, make sure you check preload on the thing (dial-type torque wrench) before you start taking it to bits, or you'd probably end up rebuilding the whole axle anyhow.

The ChryCo axle is, I believe, stronger than the D35 - but if you've got a D35, this might be a good excuse to upgrade.

And, it might also be a good idea to put your buddy on LPC's (Leather Peronnel Carriers, shoes) for a couple months for doing something this stupid. Even if he's helping you pay for it - or paying for it himself, it still doesn't change the fact that you're out a car while it's getting fixed, and you'll be on AT (Alternate Transportation) yourself for a while...

5-90

mike01166 said:
nah hes like 6'2" 210 or something like that

im 5"11 170

he was real upset about breaking it and paid for the parts and helped me fix it

look at your knee cap. Notice how it can only go backwards to 180* ? your size doesn't matter if you can get it to go in a direction that it was never ment to go....

Big guys can take you with one punch. LIttle guys are quicker and it takes longer...unless you use unconventional methods.

I find it interested that, under the law, I can actually get in LESS trouble killing a man in self-defence than if I cripple him, but my wife can cripple him and have the charges dismissed, if they're even brought.

Granted, I'm a foot taller and about twice as heavy as she is, but it's still a disparity that I find amusing. I bet the feminazis don't think of that when they push for "equality under the law," do they?

So, I took my wife to finishing school for H2H, and I make sure to wear a cup and braces when we spar. Just because I want her to fight dirty if she has to, doesn't mean I want her to cripple me...

Meanwhile, I guess I'll just have to settle for killing people who come after me, if no more convenient (but non-lethal) means to neutralise the threat is at hand. Fortunately, there's no shortage of hard object in the city (roads, sidwalks, brick walls, parking lot bollards, ...) any of which can be VERY useful if I need them!

5-90

Back