• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifter Cable Adjustment????

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wondering how can i adjust the shifter cable or even know if its out of adjustment? i'm wondering this cause i have a problem with reverse slipping and vibrating alot and it seems to be stuck in between gears. Anyone know how to adjust this cable and linkage? or no? Also is there a reverse solonoid in the trans?

thanx,

eric

eric,

The shift cable can be adjusted but be careful due to age the plastic adjuster may break like mine. I ended paying the dealer to install a new one.

I was having shifter problems and the mechanic recommended I go to the junk yard and get the rod that runs down the middle of the shifter plus a new handle. I did that and it improved but the final solution was change out the shifter.

After the shifter was installed the mechanic went to adjust it and that when the adjuster failed. While I had the XJ in the shop for the shifter I had the mechanic redo the shift interlock recall since he had prevously told me it was incorrectly installed.

What I understand about the AW4 is the forward gears are controlled electronically but reverse and park are contoled by the position of the shifter so it is a mechanical/electrical hybrid.

I am sure some knows more than me on this.

Martin

Better Check Your Tranny

None of the things you describe would come from a maladjusted cable. It sounds like you need to go to a tranny shop and they will probably tell you you need a rebuild. Just from what you said I would suspect your clutches are starting to wear (shudder, slip)and the valve body is acting up (hanging up between gears). Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Pull your stick out and describe what the fluid looks like. Is it red and pretty with no particulates or is it brown with small metal particles in it and/or a burnt smell? Good luck!

Back