• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case

jccinohio

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ has 233k on it.. Other than a small leak that I believe is the output shaft seal I'm not having any problems with the NP242 select-trac. Should I just suck it up and plan to do a bearing/seal job on it regardless? Watched a few videos as I was bored and it doesn't seem to bad. Or should I wait till I think there's a reason to open it up?

Replacing the output shaft seal is an easy job, no need to replace or rebuild for that reason if it's not making any weird noises. At least IMO.

Is there no way to edit a previous post on this forum?

Anyway... I went to replace the output seal this morning and as soon as I got the oil slinger off I could see that's not where the leak is coming from.. it was pretty dry under there. So I cleaned the case off real good and will have to just keep checking to see if I can see where the leak is coming from.

Took a drive.. looks like it might be the shifter o-ring.. so ordered that and a speedo o-ring as well.

Back