• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC compressor swap?

SV-BDN

NAXJA Forum User
I've relocated the alternator in my '93 XJ to where the AC compressor is usually situated using a RHD alt bracket. Ive been scouring the junk yards for a mopar compressor that I can make work mounted under the alternator. I think I've found one.

Looks like a '99+ Grand Cherokee w/ 4.0l had the AC compressor mounted on under the power steering pump on the drivers side of the engine. The block casting is slightly different, as is the waterpump inlet. I'm not really looking to swap blocks or use the Grand Cherokee water pump just yet (just installed a high flow XJ w/p). I think I can make a bracket to mount this compressor to the passenger side of the engine, under the alt.

My question is, can I run R12 through a R134a compressor?

I know everyone is going to jump on me and say that I should switch over to R134a, lets pretend we had that discussion and I politely declined.

(My R12 system is holding back pressured, closed the valves when the compressor was removed last week, and I have a source for R12. Yes its not environmentally friendly if it leaks, but it is certainly the superior refrigerant, and I have all the equipment to work with it safely and in an environmentally concious manner. I have an hvac tech who will do the final fill once everything hooked up.)

Back