• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

at the end of my rope with overheating issues.

Thanks for the follow up info. Good to know!

I do not think I will be doing a 350 swap but knowing that Novak spent the time to work with you to a successful resolution to the problem is worthy of special mention. The cooling system in my XJ have been in place since 2004. Who knows when I will be radiator shopping again?

well, to close the loop on this-- I spent an hour or so trouble shooting the issue w/ novak over the phone. They agreed that the rad was the culprit, and that the shroud was sitting too close to the cooling fins. I gave them measurements for clearance between the front of the motor and the fans on the rad, and they redesigned the rad so that the shroud was sitting about 1/4 inch or so off the cooling fins. they sent me the newly-redesigned rad, along with three all new spal fans -- 2 are double the cfms as the old ones, the third is a few hundred better (the third sits in the center of the rad, and due to clearance issues had to be shallower than the other two). AND, to boot, they second-day aired the rad at no charge because I told them I wanted to get it installed last weekend.

Anyway, I installed everything last weekend, and it stays ice cold-- in the driveway in the sun at 90degrees outside idling with the a/c on, the motor actually cools down enough that the temp drops below the 180 trigger temp for the fans. No more issues on the highway -- even with the winch and license plate reinstalled, coolant never goes above 190.
Anyway, kudos to novak. Really stand-up vendor. The rad/shroud/fan setup I bought from them was worth every cent I paid for it -- if you're doing a 350 conversion, I can't recommend these guys enough.

Any chance you took pictures of the setup?

here are a few I just snapped:

68d6ya.jpg

dneywh.jpg

Glad that you got it all figured out.

Can you tell me what your clearances were between the accessories and the front of the radiator?

I have a max of 4" over most of the surface with 3" or a little less right at the water pump pulley.

I'm hoping to talk with novak today and see if they can come up with something similar for my setup and have similar results.

Yours look awesome!

Yeah, I had 1.5" on left and right side, .75 in center. I was able to cram in Spal va02-ap70/ll-40a on the sides, and a spal that was half the size (forget the model number) in the middle. I believe this is the standard setup novak is selling these days.

but you're running a 5.9, don't go by my measurements. You're going to have very different clearances. A/C pump made putting the passenger side fan in a PITA, had to install it from underneath. I forget what the front end of a niner looks like (sold mine a few years ago :-(

Hi, I know this thread is a bit old but I bought the novak radiator setup and fans last year and I am having a bit of cooling issues as well. The pictures links you posted in the past dont work. If you still have the setup can you post pictures and maybe some input on how good or bad your setup worked in the past few years?

Thanks

Back