• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar Johnny Joint replacement

Nology

NAXJA Forum User
After about 4000 miles the johnny joint on my JKS track bar has worn out. I found that currie makes these joints but what size to I need? How do I go about measuring it?

Last edited:
Nology said:
After about 4000 miles the johnny joint on my JKS track bar has worn out. I found that currie makes these joints but what size to I need? How do I go about measuring it?
Well, let's see.
They just came out with these really cool tools called "tape measures".
You take your "tape measure", pull out the flexible thingy and put it next to the part of the johnny joint you want to measure.
The little lines on the flexible thingy corresponds to portions, called fractions, of an inch.

Nology said:
What part am I suposed to measure smart ass?
touchy, touchy.
Don't get all butt-hurt, I'm just giving you a little chit.
(Ya put it on a tee like that, ya gotta expect someone to swing?)
The bolt diameter and the ball width should do it.

Buy a rebuild kit from JKS.
You will need a large hydraulic device, or 'press' and some pliers for the snap ring, called 'snap-ring pliers'.
Ask Kid4lyf if you need help identifying either of these devices.
Good luck and Godspeed.

Odd. I put better than 50,000 miles on mine with no issues.

Just get the kit from JKS, this way you will get the right one. And for disassembly/reassembly, it can be done in a vice, but it's not pleasant.

Are you sure that your problem is a worn JJ? I find it hard to believe that it only lasted 4,000 miles. I've been running Currie JJ's since they first came out, probably 7 years or so, & I've only rebuilt them once (IIRC).

Jason, Currie makes 3 sizes.
UCA = small
LCA & TB = medium
Large is for whatever one needs it for. I've never seen one in use.

Paul

Nology said:
It won't tighten anymore and the whole axle moves a good amount.

Even if the JJ was worn, there's no way it could be worn enough to allow for excess axle movement.
Could it be that the bolt hole in the TB mount is wallowed out, or the sleeve is missing, or the mount is cracked, or the JJ was improperly assembled & the snap ring came out?

Paul

Does this mech. no anything about jj or is he just guessing and telling you this. I find it hard to believe that it could be the jj.

hes a personal friend of mine... I've never had to bring anything back to him for a second time. But if hes wrong what else could it possibly be?

Last edited:
Wait a sec...tighten what? The spherical joint at the top of a JKS trackbar doesn't have the threaded ring that an RE joint does, it uses a snap ring that's under quite a bit of pressure (as Paul S indicated.) Tightening the thru-bolt won't do a thing to the spherical joint.

I also find it hard to believe that the joint is worn out. Like I said, I put better than 50,000 miles, most of it in Chicago suburban traffic. I suspect an issue with the thru-bolt and trackbar mount, not the joint itself

Nology said:
what else could it possibly be?
Let's see, excess axle movement.
We could probably narrow it down to about 150 possibilities.

Did this issue just die? or did dude fiture it out?...
I have an RE track bar 35k mi on mine and it went out. The half round part was loose inside the eye part...
Any way i deduced it was becuase my swaybar disco's were loose and it made every little bump hit the track bar hard by up and down/side side motion... I dont' know i am no expert, but just looking at it it makes sense. so i upgraded ti jks disco's from re g1's and we will see what happens, this is this week that i am doing it.
what ever happend nology dude?

Back