• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need more info. on rear axle swaps

UndrTheInfleunce

NAXJA Forum User
I cannot seem to find much information on rear dana 44 axle swaps. Do you have to do much custom fabrication to your own xj? Is there a better axle swap for less?

Im stuck dead in the water

Brad
NAXJA

That doesnt tell me much on how its going to fit. I need to know if im going to have to cut anything down for clearance issues and stuff like that. I found a dana44 for 60 bucks but i dont want to get into something way over my head you know?

UndrTheInfleunce said:
That doesnt tell me much on how its going to fit. I need to know if im going to have to cut anything down for clearance issues and stuff like that. I found a dana44 for 60 bucks but i dont want to get into something way over my head you know?
a dana 44 from an AMC era XJ is bolt in.
anything else will require new spring perches and may not be the correct width.

Theres no fabbing to be done on your XJ but depending on what the D44 is out of, you may have to do some fabricating on the axle. If its an XJ D44, its a bolt in deal. If its a D44 out of a ***** (insert one of a thousand vehicles) you will need to do some fabbing for spring perches and/or shock mounts, maybe brakes, etc.
Always keep in mind that the gear ratio has to match between the front and rear axles so you may have to address that, even if its a D44 out of an XJ.

Great! Its from an 87 Wagoneer so i should be alright. i heard the pinion length wont match if your xj is stock but i have a 3'' lift. The bolt pattern is different too. Does anyone know a place that sells wheel adapters for a 6 x 5.5 axle to a 5 x 4.5 wheel?. Im taking it nonetheless. Thanks for the info.

Brad
NAXJA

Its from an 87 Wagoneer
If it really is from an 87 wagoneer, then it would have the same bolt pattern as your cherokee so somebody must have swapped it into the wagoneer from another verhicle. You may need to check it out a little better to see if it will just bolt up.

UndrTheInfleunce said:
Great! Its from an 87 Wagoneer so i should be alright. i heard the pinion length wont match if your xj is stock but i have a 3'' lift. The bolt pattern is different too. Does anyone know a place that sells wheel adapters for a 6 x 5.5 axle to a 5 x 4.5 wheel?. Im taking it nonetheless. Thanks for the info.

Brad
NAXJA

I got news for you.
If its from a full sized Waggy (as indicated by the different bolt pattern), the spring perches and shock mounts wont match up and Im not sure but it may have an off set diff.

Ray H said:
I got news for you.
If its from a full sized Waggy (as indicated by the different bolt pattern), the spring perches and shock mounts wont match up and Im not sure but it may have an off set diff.
I believe you are correct,He better grab the front too:)

Back