• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welder Suggestions?

nhrocker

Jackstand wheeler
I've welded with both arc and mig (flux core and solid), but it was all with my schools equipment. I'm now looking at picking up a "cheap" 115v welder that will work outdoors, so I know I need either an arc welder or a mig set up with flux core. I know that a 220v would be better, but this is going to be used in multiple places that don't have 220 outlets. I'll be using it on everything from thin guage sheetmetal to some good thick stuff. I've been leaning towards the arc, but I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions for specific welders. Personal opinions are welcome! Like I mentioned, money is also an issue. TIA!

I've spent more than a small amount of time today pondering over this very topic... I don't have 220 in my garage, (LOL I don't have a garage :rattle: ) but the clothes dryer plug is handy to where I'd be doing most of my welding until then.

The bux-up choice would be an 'invertor' type stick/TIG unit, such as the Miller Maxstar 150 STH... very portable and pretty strong. It is also multi-voltage, so if you can plug it into 220, it gets more efficient and more powerful, but it will also plug into 110v. NOT cheap at $1750, but at that price you get more features, plus the TIG torch & gas regulator. If you are into Red vs Blue, the Lincoln V-160-T is similar. The only big drawback to these are being DC only... if TIGing aluminum is in the future plans, look elsewhere for an AC/DC rig...

Another 'highly portable' option is the ReadyWelder II: all ya need is one (or a pair/trips of) 12VDC automotive batteries and weld away. It's a 'spool-gun' wire-feeder that uses small rolls of flux-core wire... so the gun isn't as compact as a typical remote-fed wire feed gun. It also lacks the controls that a typical plug-in welder has, like adjustable amperage & wire feed speed. Approx $470 at Northern Tool...

With electric wire-feeders (115v or 220v) generally speaking, more $$$ = more features. For example, the Millermatic 135 at $700 has variable amperage & 'automatic' wire speed adjustment, the similar Hobart has a fixed # of preset amperage settings (for approx $300 less.) Both the above run a little over 60#, in an approx 1.5' square package... so they are somewhat portable.

With the smaller welders, bumping into the (typically low) duty cycle could be a hinderance for some folks... others may rarely have an issue with it.

Which one would I pick? I am leaning very heavily towards the Miller Maxstar and learning to TIG weld. Anything I'd need to do out in the wind, the stick function can handle it, and once I get a shop built, hook up the gas. OTOH I've seen first-hand where a Ready Welder (or a vehicle mounted Mobi-Arc stick welder) on the trail is a handy item... the kit plus a pair of good batteries isn't a bad investment.

hate to be the Jackass Rob,
but search for Beezil's post. "hobart" and "welder" as sreach terms should work . there is some good fact in thoes posts....

You're not being a jackass at all! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I had just been going through pages of info for about an hour and only finding useless posts with no info to back up anything. I'm not even done reading his and I've already got most of the info I need (the way I would use this thing, I'm waiting till I can afford a good 220 welder!). Thanks for the better search terms!

Also, when I was in the class, one of the welders I was using was really close to what I was asking about- MIG, flux core, small, cart mount, 115v- but it wasn't the best now that I remember. Worked enough for the jobs I had to do outside. It was a Lincoln, I just can't remember the model.

Last edited:
I recently traded up from my old Hobart Handler 90 (a very competent and well-made unit) to a Miller 135. I gave the Hobart to my son along with a huge roll of flux core wire. He's a student sculptor, who lives in an apartment with a small toolshed out back, so he needs a 115 volt machine that can work off an extension cord in the driveway. The Hobart has served well for nearly 15 years, but the Miller, especially with its continuous controls, is very nice indeed. I have no complaints. 220 is fine if you can run it, but if you can't you can do a lot with even a small wire feed if you're patient.

For a portable machine, I'd get the best 115 volt wire-feed you can afford, making sure it can be used with MIG as well when needed. Though it isn't something you'd want to do daily, it's not that hard to switch between flux core and MIG on the same machine.

This is my second Miller. I know it shouldn't make a difference what brand welder you're using if you are using the same rod/wire/gas/settings, but it seems as if the Millers work just a little better.

Lincoln said:
For those of you looking for dual voltage, this is an option:

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_dvi/

Not overly cheap. I think my local shop is selling them for around $1000.

Not overly portable either. :laugh3: but for $1000 + wire, tips & gas, that machine would scratch most any non-pro fabricator's welding itch for a long time.

Searching for posts with 'Hobart' that Beezil replied to gets to the root of most "What Welder" questions, along with a good primer on powering it safely.

I have a Lincoln SP-135+ and am very pleased with it. The duty cycle doesn't bother me very much, and when I do have to wait for the machine to rest I just find something else to grind, cut, measure, etc. When choosing the machine at the local welding supply shop, I was advised to get a Lincoln (they sold both), being that they have complaints about the drive motor on the Millers going out.

I have experience with MIG welding and want to install a set of C gussets and axle sleeves into my JKUR front axle.

Thinking about upgrading to a 230V MIG setup.

Anyone have any recommendations? Was looking at the Hobart 210.

I can't believe you didn't get an immediate response. You should contact the customer service department and file a complaint. Demand your money back. And an apology.

So disappointing.

Regarding the welder, if you want a dual voltage machine look at the Miller (I think it is a 211 that has a great record). If you just want a 240v machine look at the Hobart Ironman 240.

I went this route a few years ago.

L6ZBg0rh.jpg

I can't believe you didn't get an immediate response. You should contact the customer service department and file a complaint. Demand your money back. And an apology.

So disappointing.

Regarding the welder, if you want a dual voltage machine look at the Miller (I think it is a 211 that has a great record). If you just want a 240v machine look at the Hobart Ironman 240.

A buddy did most of the welding on my rig with a Miller 211, its a fantastic machine.

I've got a 140 for learning. Its pretty decent, but at some point I'm going to upgrade.

I went this route a few years ago.

Yeah, neverminded. The 252 has gone up $1000 since I picked mine up. :wow:

Definitely would looking more along the lines of the 215 now.

What hasn't gone up?

Ain't Bidenflation great?

The best MIG welder I have ever used is the one I bought at a Sams club on sale for $550.
Its a 180 amp Century (American made, at least when I bought mine) with the cart 220v single phase, infinite heat and wire feed settings. Tweeco handpiece and line. Came with the gas setup, obviously.

I've used several Millers and several Lincolns and I prefer my Century MIG welder. It's the only welder I've used that I can dial it down to where I can weld most sheet metal without stopping and not blow any holes. Maybe my welder is out of the ordinary but I've sure been happy with it. A couple friends of mine have borrowed it who are experienced welders and they both wanted to buy these after using it. I just told them its not for sale.

The primeweld 180 has had my eye for a bit ... fairly cheap, but I keep eyeballing the hobart 240 as well since that should be a 40 year+ solution

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Back