• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Ebay account STOLEN! HOW?

hackedxj

NAXJA Member #1090
Got a call today from a guy who said he had won a camera from me on Ebay. I hadn't used the account for six months. I quickly looked at the account to find there had been thouands of dollars worth of stuff sold in the last few days! mostly computers, they're trying to get money and not ship the goods, wanting the bidders to use western union. My location had been changed to The United Kingdom! They had stole our Ebay pass word and was using our Yahoo email adress to answer questions! We just froze our credit card, paypal account, and bank account till it's taken care of. I'm no computer wiz, How would they have gotten my pass word? Do you think there's something in my computer that needs to be removed? Be careful guys, don't let it happen to you. keep an eye on old Ebay accounts.

I bet a long time ago you got an email that said somthing to the effect that your ebay accout was suspended and it asked you to click on the link to relog in the reactivate your accout. ANd by doing that you just sent all your information to the people that sent you the email.

I get an email like that at least once a week...

I keep getting that email as well; too bad I've never had an eBay account.

bzdel2441 said:
I bet a long time ago you got an email that said somthing to the effect that your ebay accout was suspended and it asked you to click on the link to relog in the reactivate your accout. ANd by doing that you just sent all your information to the people that sent you the email.

Yep, that's probably it. Every time I get those emails, I report them to eBay security.

bzdel2441 said:

No, it wasn't that for sure, we knew about that scam before we got those emails, but never replied to them. Could someone have hacked into ebay or my computer?

Run a good virus scan. there are viruses out there that are designed to log key-stokes on the victoms computer, passwords, credit card numbers, ect, and send that infor back to the host computer. and has been said, NEVER reply to a e-mail from e-bay thats tells you you need to give your pass. e-bay even warns against that.
but, like mcafee and others offer free online virus-scans, if you dont have up to date anti-virus protection

really-gross.jpg

hillbilly_jeeper said:
Run a good virus scan. there are viruses out there that are designed to log key-stokes on the victoms computer, passwords, credit card numbers, ect, and send that infor back to the host computer. and has been said, NEVER reply to a e-mail from e-bay thats tells you you need to give your pass. e-bay even warns against that.
but, like mcafee and others offer free online virus-scans, if you dont have up to date anti-virus protection

Even if you do have up to date virus software the online scans can often pickup stuff the others can't or don't.
This is a good one that has found stuff the norton and mcafee don't
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

bzdel2441 said:

i get one like that every couple of months from paypal...

i report it...

but it just keeps getting sneakier and sneakier...

mac 'hacked hacker' gyvr

I have to say, my mcafee has never missed anything that an online scanner caught. but my mcafee is updated automatically every or every other day.
another note, dont think that just because you've never opened a supicious e-mail attachment, that you dont have a virus. i've attually gotten them just opening an affected web page. depends on you browser and cookie settings, but you web browser can download all sorts of stuff in the background that you never even know about.
another good thing to have is ad-aware or eqivilent, to find and remove all sorts of spyware and such that gets installed when your not looking. its a free program to download. seems to worrk pretty good for me.

hackedxj said:
No, it wasn't that for sure, we knew about that scam before we got those emails, but never replied to them. Could someone have hacked into ebay or my computer?

By any chance, did you happen to use a password for your account that was easily-guessed, or found in a dictionary?

UPDATE
Hillbilly Jeeper was pretty close. My virus protection wasn't up to date and my computer had several viruses and an assortment of "worms". My wife took the computer to to work with her an let the company "puter guy " check it out .
From what he could tell thief had came in through my Yahoo email . He then set up as a remote user, he had my Yahoo, Ebay and paypal pass words and was carrying on his business using my Yahoo email.
Even though my paypal had about 300 dollars in it he hadn't got it. Seem his main interest was scamming as many Ebayers as possible before we noticed it. I think buy us catching it with in a day and cancelling everything including credit cards and bank accounts save us .

Learn from my ignorance, update your protection, if your not a computer whizz, take it to one, be leary of out of the country Ebay deals. And most importantly, any cash you get your hands on , invest it in your Jeep....lol . That's what gonna do! Thanks guys

Back