NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 30th, 2003, 05:17
NAXJA Forum User

Replacing metal 5 piece windshield molding with new Rubber molding

Hello all,

I was wondering if the old 5 piece metal molding around the windshield used on 84-94 XJ's could be rplaced by the newer 1 piece rubber molding used on 95+ XJ's.

On my 86 the paint is all chipped off and on the highway it makes alot of wind baffeling noise so I figure I could eliminate this probabem with a rubber one.

And how do I remove the old metal frame? Do I use a special tool?

Thanks
Old April 30th, 2003, 05:40
NAXJA Forum User

I don't see why not. But I am not sure what holds the rubber one on. There are a bunch of little metal clips that hold the metal one on. You just have to decisively pull on the metal to get it to come up. BUT!!! I wasn't expecting to keep the metal after I tried that either so, this be my disclaimer.
Old April 30th, 2003, 06:36
NAXJA Member #760

There is a special tool for the metal frame, but you can usually just pry it off if you're careful. When you do so, though, some of the little plastic clips that hold it on may break (at least they were plastic on the 87).

The one-piece rubber gasket goes around the edges of the glass itself, so it isn't something you can install unless you're replacing the windshield. I suppose you might be able to cut the back part off of one, and then embed it in large amounts of sealant, but it would be tricky to make it sit evenly, and a costly experiment.
Old April 30th, 2003, 06:57
NAXJA Member #20

I installed the rubber style the last time I had the windshield changed on my '87. It cut down on the rattling and wind noise from the old frame. I removed the old sections and ground off the studs that held the aluminum in place, then substituted the new style gasket on reinstallation. I'm not sure you have to remove the studs though, because it looks like there would be clearance even if they remain, but the glass man wanted me to do it before I brought it in.
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:15
Lifetime NAXJA Member

The last time I had a windscreen replaced, just after he finished replacing the metal trim the guy told me he could have done it with the rubber gasket if I had asked. Of course, I didn't know to ask -- but the next time I will.

Owner/Driver/Enabler of "The Fleet"
Self-appointed President-for-Life of the World MJ Preservation Society
Old April 30th, 2003, 09:39
NAXJA Forum User

I know when I had my 97 XJ's windshield replaced the Rubber molding was already on the Glass when it was installed and the glass installer through the old one out but years ago when my 95 XJ had its windshield replaced the Rubber seal was used over on the newer windshield.

Chrysler sells the Rubber seal for use on 95-01 XJ's, Same part number for 94-01. So I am making an assumption that Depending on the supplier of the glass would depend on if the Rubber seal was included on the glass already (as one part)

But d/c defintely offers the rubber seal as a separte part.

I am kinda stumped on what to do. Tom's post was basically what I wanted to hear, new rubber on old jeep!!!
Old April 30th, 2003, 22:14
NAXJA Member #760

When I bought a junkyard windshield for my 87, I got a later one that came with the rubber seal, and I reused that. I did not have to remove the metal studs.