• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need welder advice.

OT

NAXJA Forum User
Which one should I get? I did a search, but couldn't find anything. Will the Harbor Freight 90amp welder be good for 1/2" material? I'll be welding aluminum to steel, with some lead and brass at times. Will a heavy duty copper wire work for all these metals? I have a budget of $200 so I should be able to get a good one, right?
TIA

Last edited:
Okie Terry said:
Which one should I get? I did a search, but couldn't find anything. Will the Harbor Freight 90amp welder be good for 1" material? I'll be welding aluminum to steel, with some lead and brass at times. Will a heavy duty copper wire work for all these metals? I have a budget of $200 so I should be able to get a good one, right?
TIA
Nice....real nice.

Okie Terry said:
Which one should I get? I did a search, but couldn't find anything. Will the Harbor Freight 90amp welder be good for 1/2" material? I'll be welding aluminum to steel, with some lead and brass at times. Will a heavy duty copper wire work for all these metals? I have a budget of $200 so I should be able to get a good one, right?
TIA

wed550.jpg

I use a handheld model

...And winter sets in in the Midwest. Always easy to tell. :D

I just got a 1977 Cherokee Cheif, and am torn between the RE 5.5 XD lift kit and the RockKrawler 6" coilover conversion, longarm, anti-gravity kit with the AAL.
Tire choice is also a problem.
Can anyone tell me if I should go with the 49" IROKs or the 52" Michelins?
I will be running the 'Ecco' alloys with Spidertraxx spacers until I can sand the centers out of my Hummer beadlocks.
I will be running the stock 30/35 axles until I can spring for f&r 44s.
I know I need armor, but I got a handheld solderer, which is like a welder, at Harbor Freight, and plan to fab my own thigh pads, shoulder pads, etc.
TIA.

Look, I understand you like to live life on the edge, but come on.

The FIRST Mod you should consider is brighter headlights... you know, the ones that look blue. Safety is a priority.
Then get some smoked/black rear lights. Those make the difference.
Jeeps do break, so get some lighting underneath. The blue neons are cool, and great for fixin the junk at night.

THEN... you should consider the anti-gravity kit. If you get it installed and properly modded (don't forget drilling holes in the muffler to give it the kool sound too, yo), you will not need armor. That is the whole point of the anti-gravity kits. It is all about priorities.

Oh, tires... bias ply, white wall out.

bgcntry72 said:
I just got a 1977 Cherokee Cheif, and am torn between the RE 5.5 XD lift kit and the RockKrawler 6" coilover conversion, longarm, anti-gravity kit with the AAL.
I will be running the 'Ecco' alloys with Spidertraxx spacers until I can sand the centers out of my Hummer beadlocks.
I know I need armor, but I got a handheld solderer, which is like a welder, at Harbor Freight, and plan to fab my own thigh pads, shoulder pads, etc.
TIA.

I'm not positive on this, but I think 49-52" tires will be taxing your stock axles a bit. I here the Wagoneer axles of the same vintage might be a direct bolt in(Dana 44's by the way). Also it might take more lift to fit those tires. Your gonna need at least a 4" body lift on top of the 6" susp. kit. Good Luck.

bgcntry72 said:
TIA.

explorer said:
I'm not positive on this, but I think 49-52" tires will be taxing your stock axles a bit. I here the Wagoneer axles of the same vintage might be a direct bolt in(Dana 44's by the way). Also it might take more lift to fit those tires. Your gonna need at least a 4" body lift on top of the 6" susp. kit. Good Luck.
Are you trying to be funny?

explorer said:
The 77 Cheif was unibody....You guys don't know crap! Get back over to JU!

explorer said:

I'm thinkin this is kind of like the movie, Police Academy....you know, where the first one was kinda funny, and then the next ones get progressivly pathetic, partially due to the fact that its the SAME joke done a different way.....

how many licks to we get to the "that'll buff right out" center????

Terry,

Maybe if you use this in the garage for what it is intended for and get it out of the bedroom, you might just start to weld better!

Oh how pretty!!!

is.php

hinkley

Consider the JB-Welder. If you run it on setting 5 you can weld anything from PVC to Titanium. It can be used on board or off board. Very versatile...it's the shizzle. You could even weld your vagina closed if neccessary.

jbweldtuben.jpg

Back