• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need opinions on trimming

XJ99JEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone has trimmed their fenders just so you can turn. I have a 1999 xj with a 5inch lift and I'm going to be adding 33s soon. I'm pretty sure they are going to rub the outside of my fenders when I turn. I've found some pretty good write ups on keeping the stock flares, but I was wondering if anyone has trimmed just the corner of the front fenders to prevent that. ( I have thought of just taking my flares off but Pennsylvania doesn't approve of that idea😂 )

The best bet is trimming the whole deal. I've seen some guys that have pulled the flares, trimmed back above the nut-holes, and then drilled into the fender to reinstall the flares at a higher level. You can also look for aftermarket flares. Several companies will make replacement flares that mount specifically on trimmed wheel openings.

at 5.5" lift and 33s you should be ok. I have 4.5" lift and 33x10.50 on stock wheels and they barely rub, generally when I hit a bump and turned at the same time

Back